GPGPU, CUDA for Dummies

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macduke, Jun 21, 2008.

1. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Alright, maybe not completely for dummies. I'm posting this for general interest. Its still a rather technical article, but a good read at 15 pages and explains things well enough for a moderately technical person such as myself to understand. This is really the first time I've seen this technology explained in a way that makes sense with some nice background history that ties it all together. It doesn't really go much into what Apple is doing with this technology, but these are essentially the same sort of things that are supposed to be in Snow Leopard with the Grand Central Station and OpenCL technologies, using the graphics card to boost processing power. In their own tests, they found it boosted processing performance 6x on a laptop with an 8600GT, similar to what is found in the current gen MBP. I would love to pay $129 to make my computer 6x faster! If only it were that easy. I guess we'll find out next year??

Article from Tom's Hardware.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You'd most likely get more interest in the programming forum. Most people don't care how something works as long as it gives them some tangible benefit.