GPS/3G Model Only?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DiScO197, Mar 24, 2011.

1. DiScO197 macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2008
    Hi Folks,

I have seen the specs and can only assume that the 3G ipad2 only has A-GPS. How does the WIFI model do like google maps? :)
  2. COSWORTH macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2010
  3. aristobrat, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

aristobrat macrumors G5

Oct 14, 2005
    Skyhook is a company that associates WiFi hotspots with their geolocation.

By looking at WiFi hotspots nearby, your WiFi-only iPad can get a general idea of where it's located.

If there aren't any mapped WiFi hotspots nearby, it's doesn't know where it's at.
  4. rnb2 macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2006
    West Haven, CT, USA
    Also, if you tether to an iPhone, the iPad will get GPS information from it - tests seem to indicate that it updates every minute or so. It was frequent enough that a tethered iPad was able to properly place the car the owner was in on the road they were driving on. Other tests have shown a tethered iPad getting GPS information where there were no WiFi hotspots.
  5. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2008
    Ok cool, cheers guys. So if I tether with the iphone it will get GPS info? I have the ipad 1 'full fat' as people call it here but I never found myself using the 3G so much, but the a-gps is useful. Cheers.
  6. DiScO197 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2008
    I'm glad to see reasonable pricing here for the launch (UK). I may have to drop 32GB in favour of 3G and a-gps, what do you think?