GPS - 3GS vs. 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by totemynote, Jul 13, 2010.

1. totemynote macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I did do a search for this but could not find exactly what I would like to ask.
    I would like to know how much the GPS function has improved on the 4 from the 3GS. I have the 3GS and love to use the GPS but it is not always very accurate. I know there is a better chip in the new iPhone. Anyone who has upgraded to the 4 from the 3GS please tell me their experience with this.

Thanks

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

it's insanely accurate with the new one, especially in comparison to 3GS.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

The iPhone 4's GPS is much much better than the 3GSs.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

My iPhone 4 picks up location quicker than my stand alone Garmin.

6. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

It is much, much improved, I use GPS on mine all the time and have never once had to "wait" for a location lock, always knows exactly where I am, often times indoors too.

7. err404 macrumors 68020

Signal lock time for both the 3GS and 4 are very fast, but the 4 is still faster and maintains a stronger lock. More importantly the iPhone 4 is typically accurate to 16' where as the 3GS was at best 56', but often worse.
    Turn by turn Navigation is far better on the 4. My 3GS would often get confused and lose the lock or think I was on adjacent streets. It was bad enough, that I was contemplating getting an external GPS mount for the old phone. The new phone does turn by turn flawlessly.
    Also the new phone is great for geochaching due to the reason above. My 3GS was OK in a pinch, but I did not use it as my primary GPS. Now I only need to carry the iPhone 4.

8. totemynote thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that settles it. I am upgrading. Antenna issues or not. I live in a strong signal area and I'll buy the bumper too I guess. Thanks for all the responses.