gps accuracy 156ft.?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrdabney, Jun 28, 2009.

1. wrdabney macrumors member

I have the motionX app and the geocaching app and it seems like the gps never has better accuracy than 156ft. Any suggestions on how to make this better? I have a 3gs. Also, is there any way to tell accuracy on the maps app?

2. macduke Suspended

macduke

I've always wondered about that. I have the motionX app and it never goes lower than that on my 3g or 3gs. The maps app, however, shows a more accurate reading than that. I can zoom way in and it tracks me walking around the parking lot outside my apartment and can mark where my car is when I park it. I don't know why, but for whatever reason that is the data it feeds back into the program. From what I can tell, though, its fairly accurate. It just doesn't say so for whatever reason.

3. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

3G S, shows me as being at the entryway of the next condo building... maybe 40 feet or so off... not too bad. More worried about it making phone calls than having my exact location.

4. Torq macrumors regular

I routinely see 56ft (not 156ft) as the reading on MotionX GPS.

Though that generally only occurs with 7-8 green bars of green GPS Signal. The second that drops to 6 the next lowest value it displays is 156ft, and the next step down is to 251ft.

I get the same reading on my wife's 3G and my 3GS.

Screenshot attached (edited to remove the main latitude/longitude values).

Attached Files:

5. wrdabney thread starter macrumors member

for some reason mine hasn't ever been better than 156ft. even in open area with blue skies. and on the geocaching app my position only seems to update every minute or so. anybody else have this problem

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I'm getting 56ft like Torq is...

Are you getting 7-8 bars of signal? Torq might be right that it could just be a predetermined number corresponding to the number of bars you are getting. As I was watching the app, when it got to 6 bars I think it was, it showed 156ft, then once the signal got stronger, it went down to 56ft.