GPS accuracy better on Series 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mfm77, Sep 25, 2016.

1. mfm77 macrumors member

mfm77

I've had the original AW since April but, as a runner, knew I might sell it and upgrade to Series 2 if it included onboard GPS. While I always carry my phone with me (mainly for music), I've had some inconsistencies with pace and distance with my AW 1, and that continued today when I did the Bronx 10 Mile and had Runtastic's measurements off by .3 miles too much and faster by 13 sec/mile. I expected to be a little off, but that seems a little high to me.

Have people found the GPS on Series 2 more accurate than the first version? I'm considering switching so I can get more accurate stats during training runs and races. I know Series 2 uses the phone's GPS unless you don't run with a phone, but I'd just put my phone in airplane mode while I'm running. Thoughts?

2. nicho macrumors 68000

By which you actually mean, have people found the GPS on series 2 more accurate than that of the iphone, no?

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I assume that was the point. Wasn't there some talk about how the AW2 would use the phone's GPS if it was paired as the phone's is more accurate?

4. Nozuka macrumors 68000

Yes it uses the GPS from the phone whenever possible. But that's mostly to save battery.

5. mfm77 thread starter macrumors member

mfm77

Yup, that's what I mean.

6. passedpast macrumors newbie

passedpast

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's certainly not a big deal, but both of those threads that you replied to both with GPS for the Apple Watch Series 2, is over five months old.