GPS acquisition / lock-on times

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Supersonic, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Supersonic macrumors regular

I currently have a regular, stock model TomTom XL, which when I turn it on, takes about 30 seconds to "Find" where I am, including the time it takes to boot, do its thing, and lock onto its 5 satellites (or whatever).

What's the iPhone's acquisition time like....???

Once you boot an app that used the GPS, how long until it knows where you are?? My N95 as a comparison took an absolute age, sometimes minutes, so hope the iPhone has a better response..

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It depends on where you are, but that's the beauty of aGPS. The iPhone uses cell towers to get an approximate location, which the GPS then uses to choose the correct satellites from which to get information.

My iPhone 3G S typically takes a second or two to give a big circle, and then maybe 15-45 seconds to give my exact location, depending on how much interference there is. If I'm inside, it takes longer of course, but that's typical of all GPS receivers.

3. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

3gs Gps

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

I've tried Run Keeper Pro three times without the GPS getting a reliable fix. I followed the suggestion of locating yourself on google maps first, but still found it only picked me up occasionally during the run.

Am I in a minority, or do more people struggle with the GPS facility/GPS apps?

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

nope, mine locates me (when outside) within about 15 seconds accuratley

and i use trails, which is similar to runkeeper, and that is generally accurate

5. Que macrumors 6502

bought navigon yesterday, locked on my position within 10 seconds.

6. weeman macrumors 6502

The 3gs has been super good to me and has been locking in my exact location within 5-7 seconds.

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i just checked, and inside a building at work it took 13 seconds

8. chox99 macrumors regular

Not want to hijack the thread, but does GPS lock works without data plan and wifi? (cell tower only) Also, I noticed if I take my sim card out, I don't get lock with wifi only. :confused:

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you should be able to lock on to your position, but you wont be able to see the maps behind, you will just get a grid or gray screen. however, if the map is still in your phones cache because you havent moved since you last got map data, you will be able to see the map but not move or pan because you wont be able to get new map tiles