GPS Adaptor

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bigjay33, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bigjay33 macrumors newbie

I am happy to stay with my 1st Gen iPhone. Not to excited about the rate increase for the 3G phone but I would like GPS on my current iPhone. Does anyone know if there are any plans to making a 3rd party GPS adaptor for the 1st Gen iPhones? I know Tom Tom is coming out with their software on the app store launch and would love to have it on my phone. Thanks in advance

2. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I don't know first hand, but I would be shocked if someone doesn't come up with a GPS App for 1st Generation iPhone. They already have Google Maps. so I'm sure someone is looking into building a GPS App using Google Maps. Hell, my cousin has a crappy generic flip phone w/Sprint, and he has GPS (with verbal directions). I'd be shocked if they can't figure it out for the 1st Generation iPhone.

3. bigjay33 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the reply. Those were my thoughts too however I haven't seen anything yet been mentioned about it. We shall see. Can't wait for the apps store launch!!!

4. pintnight macrumors 6502

That is NOT going to happen. The phone need a GPS transmitter/receiver and there isn't one.

5. bigjay33 thread starter macrumors newbie

They make a lot of 3rd party GPS receivers / transmittors for other cell phones. Why not make an attachment that goes to the pin connector on the bottom of the iphone?

6. smartdog126 macrumors newbie

okqy the gps thing transmittor needs to be installed into the phone you cant just get the app you have to get the transmittor/receivers in the phone its not the app that gives you the gps its the chip in the phone

7. bigjay33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a link to a GPS attachment prototype for the iphone. It actually receives the GPS info and is an attachment for the bottom of the iphone. I know technically it is possible however is Apple going to allow developers to make these kind of attachment options when iphone 2.0 software is available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6bC1MIhn44