GPS and Aperture problem??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by anewman143, Feb 15, 2011.

1. anewman143 macrumors regular

anewman143

Hey all - I have Apple's Aperture 3 book and learned, amongst other things, that if I have a GPSr that I can import the track log (a GPX file) into Aperture and then if I place the first picture in a series at the start of the track map, that Aperture will then distribute the pictures along the path at appropriate intervals. The example in the book works like a charm!

So I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and downloaded my track info from the device. I shot about 10-15 pictures along the path with my Canon XSi.

I followed the exact example from the book, but when I drag the first picture in the series to the beginning of the track, it doesn't lay out all the other pictures along the track...it places them ALL at the beginning of the track. (and no - I don't have all the pictures selected...just the first)

Has anyone tried doing this? Any little pearls of advice?? It's driving me crazy since it is such a terrific feature...

Thanks for any direction!

Adam

2. rebby macrumors 6502

Is the clock between your GPS and your camera in sync? That's the first thing to check. Second would be to verify the times in your track file. Be sure to look out for timezones.

3. anewman143 thread starter macrumors regular

anewman143

A fair question that I will double check - but my understanding of the feature in Aperture is that it isn't critical since it should offset the pictures based on where you indicate your starting point is...

But in all fairness, I could be wrong too!

I'll check and let you know - it would be great if that was the problem!

Adam

4. rebby macrumors 6502

I didn't get the impression that it worked that way. I was under the understanding that you could place the images anywhere along the path and that they would be correctly distributed based on the time stamps. That's how I do it anyway. I've only tried this feature a few times (just got a GPS logger) though so I'm still learning.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/how-to/#video-gps

The video states that Aperture will automatically place your images but it doesn't say anything about how the image location is determined. My guess is that it's based on the time stamp.

5. anewman143 thread starter macrumors regular

anewman143

Hmmm...maybe I misspoke (or didn't understand correctly)...my limited understanding was that even if the time stamps were "off"...say by 1 hour (no reason for that unless the GPS and camera are not on the same time) that where you place your picture indicates a starting point for the remaining ones to be distributed...

BUT - your description makes MUCH more sense...I need to make sure my times are in order and try again!

Will post here after I try that...

Thanks!

Adam

6. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Does the time signal from the GPS not override the camera's internal clock?

I use a Promote GPS unit on my D200 and I the time registered is that from the GPS signal, along with letting me know which time zone I was in at the time.

7. anewman143 thread starter macrumors regular

anewman143

Problem solved! And (he said sheepishly) there was a simple solution.

My new Garmin was calibrated to central time (where it was manufactured I think) but I'm eastern. So, my camera and Vista HCx were exactly 1 hour off.

Once I fixed that, it worked like a charm! What an amazing device!

Thanks all!

Adam

8. rebby macrumors 6502

Great news! I figured it was a time sync issue.