Gps app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jcorbin, Mar 31, 2012.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

So I'm trying to decide between waze and motion x. I've used both before. With waze it took me on a route with tons of traffic and was very round about. Haven't used motion x very much. But it lost gps signal several times in one trip.

Any opinions?

2. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Telenav works great for me. Rerouting is fast and GPS locks on very quick

3. 184550 Guest

I'm partial to the Garmin app.

If you're trying to choose from the two mentioned in your post, I'd go with the one that didn't constantly drop the signal.

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Telenav looks pretty good. Worth the $9.99?

5. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

You get to try it free for 30 days. Give it a try.

6. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I have not looked farther than MotionX GPS Drive. I have used it all over Ohio (from Cleveland area to Cincinnati) with very little trouble. Even when my reception was low to gone it seems to keep the directions going when it gets reconnected for a second.

I love the UI too.

7. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

It says I have to pay for voice navigation

8. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Not during the first 30 days.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's due to the GPS receiver, not the app. The app has no impact on GPS reception.

Worth is always subjective. If you want feedback from others then you need to clearly define what your criteria are. If we all thought it was worth it we'd all use it. Don't overlook the existing nav app discussion threads.

10. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

I think in gonna stick with waze. The only thing it's missing is avoiding till roads.

11. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

My occupation requires me to drive about 120-150 miles per day (in congested So Cal traffic no less) and I also use both Waze + MotionX every day for the past year. BOTH are fantastic navigation apps (much better than Navigon, Tom Tom and TeleNav -yes I've tried them ALL).

Good luck.

12. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Why do you use both?

13. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Around the Freeways, I prefer Motion X (better display, sound). But in and around surface streets, I use Waze because it directs you around trouble traffic locations better + shows you where the cops are hiding out.

14. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I like Motion X drive. I really haven't used any of the others, but it works as well as my garmin GPS. Plus I don't have to pay $50 for a map upgrade. Give it a try, its only .99 cents and you get free voice for 30 days.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

My vote is for Waze. I like that it has similar alerts to trapster and so far it hasn't gotten me lost once.

16. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I've tried Waze and Mapquest. I love the UI of Waze, but its routing is a little funky at times. Around here sometimes a road name will change as it hits a town line and Waze will tell me to go left then go right, when it's really just stay straight on the same road.

The other problem I have with it is that it rarely tells you what exit number to take off the highway. It will instead say "exit at Jones Rd". Unfortunately the highway sign will say Exit 57 - Route 17. One has to assume that Jones Rd and Exit 17 are one and the same.

These issues may be specific to my area.

I have not tried MotionX Drive as I didn't want to pay for navigation when those two apps offer it for free. I do use MotionX GPS for mountain biking and hiking and love it. Great tech support too.

17. Djs621 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

I have tried about every big name GPS app there is and I have always come back to Tomtom. For me the most important feature is traffic which tomtom and every other app that Offers the service does marginally well. So the next deciding factor is UI and tomtom wins hands down in that dept.

18. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

I switched to motion x because waze can't avoid tolls and that's really important to me

19. Davydd macrumors regular

I travel a lot in an RV off the beaten paths in northern Minnesota and out west where there are no cell signals. I need an app that will work everywhere off satellite with its own built-in maps. Tom Tom, Garmin, Magellan and Navigon do that. Also they don't hit you will cell data when using them. My choice was Tom Tom as I also use it on the iPad. Here I have my New iPad in my original iPad Apple Case that I velcroed to my dashboard. Works slick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a setup to alternatively use my iPhone with an inexpensive holder I bought at Target, not in the electronics department, but in the auto accessories area.