Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
higer

I agree with those who say that TomTom will be in the $89 - $100 range. I would find it hard to justify that price when I might decide to get a different cell phone next year. I will probably use iPhones for a long time, but something else might possibly tempt me next year (like the Pre on AT&T?).

I wouldn't really like having that much more money invested in a device that I consider somewhat disposable (well, not exactly disposable...more like sell and switch to something else!) It's not like the money for the GPS software is transferrable to someone else when you sell because the purchases on the iPHone are tied to your iTunes account.

I think the TomTom gps will cost more than 100$, for just the software, and will be 179-190$ for the kit, which will include the hardware too.

But, I think the tomtom could surprise us with some additional telematics functionality that none of the others offer.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I think we all are shooting in the dark, but here's my guess.

TomTom
$49.99 App only
$99.99 Dock + App (via promo code)

As much as I want the TomTom app, I'm simply not willing to pay more then $100.

I do think that $99.99 will cover all of the USA (or home country)

I don't think it'll be too much more then that. You can get a cheap TomTom for $75-150. Given that this is just software, I don't think they will get more then $50-$75 for the App.

Do we know anymore details?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
take it

I think we all are shooting in the dark, but here's my guess.

TomTom
$49.99 App only
$99.99 Dock + App (via promo code)

I'll take that bet.

Loser posts a big picture eating crow?

:)

honestly, the 9.99$ gznavi program business model is pretty sound, which is 100$+ a year, and tomtom offers either an up to date program, or as I noted above could offer extra features that the others don't offer, which could easily add upwards of 50$ to a realistic price point.

Would I like to see the HW/SW from tomtom for 99$, yepper and they would sell if every day of the week, 24 hours a day if that were the case, but I won't hold my breath for it.

Could it be 179$, with a 50$ 30 day promo, maaaaybe, I would say more like 199$ with a 50$ 30 day promo.

they MIGHT offer a 100$ deal with a SEVEN day offer window, how many can they move in a week. THAT might be interesting, fastest selling hardware/software device on the platform? could happen,

but then again, monkeys could fly out of my.....

:)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Heh, on the car I just ordered it was a $2000 option. I could rock Navigon for 16.6 years at their monthly fee of $10 for that price. And, I'm just thinking here, but I think 16 years is longer then the life of that average car.

It's not $2,000 for the navigation, but also for several other features that may include (depending on the car manufacturer) rear back-up camera, voice control, premium audio system, upgraded CD player, better (usually name brand like JBL) speaker package. It's very difficult to price for this reason, but at least it'll help with the resale value if you do sell the car so it's even cheaper. You lose it all if you do the monthly subscription.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
It's not $2,000 for the navigation, but also for several other features that may include (depending on the car manufacturer) rear back-up camera, voice control, premium audio system, upgraded CD player, better (usually name brand like JBL) speaker package. It's very difficult to price for this reason, but at least it'll help with the resale value if you do sell the car so it's even cheaper. You lose it all if you do the monthly subscription.

The car that I ordered on the 10th has a $2000 navigation option. No back up ($500 option), voice control is extra ($250 option), no premium audio ($500 option), no upgraded CD player (not an option), no better speakers (see premium audio). It is just for the navigation.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
The car that I ordered on the 10th has a $2000 navigation option. No back up ($500 option), voice control is extra ($250 option), no premium audio ($500 option), no upgraded CD player (not an option), no better speakers (see premium audio). It is just for the navigation.

True. And some car manufacturers WILL offer GPS in a package and you are forced to buy all the other crap. Still, the point stands. It's next to impossible to get onboard GPS for under a grand. It's an option for the financially ignorant or for people who are very well off. It's best to just but a portable unit because you can take it into other vehicles too.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
True. And some car manufacturers WILL offer GPS in a package and you are forced to buy all the other crap. Still, the point stands. It's next to impossible to get onboard GPS for under a grand. It's an option for the financially ignorant or for people who are very well off. It's best to just but a portable unit because you can take it into other vehicles too.

Add to that the fact that it takes the average car 5 years from design to market. That's why you might notice that all of the in-car GPS systems look like old technology... it's because it is.

That makes about as much sense as buying a nice computer desk with a permanent computer built in. People will want to update their GPS devices much more frequently than cars (one would hope.)

rez07

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Sygic Drive is also out, but so far only for Australia and SE Asia. Its less expensive, it seems.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Obviously an overpriced luxury vehicle and you got ripped off. Many manufacturers bundle it with at least a back-up camera and voice control.

Why did you order it if you're that price conscious?

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Obviously an overpriced luxury vehicle and you got ripped off. Many manufacturers bundle it with at least a back-up camera and voice control.

Why did you order it if you're that price conscious?

An 09' MINI Cooper S Convetible with JCW tuning, and I didn't get ripped off, because I didn't add it into my build.

livemixer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Well the one thing that people aren't taking into consideration is that the GPS on the iPhone is partially dependent on the cellular network. So if you're, say, driving up in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and you no longer have cell service, how good is that $99 TomTom app going to be at that point? Whereas a standalone that comes with the dash mount included won't fail in dead zones. That's the deal breaker for me.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Well the one thing that people aren't taking into consideration is that the GPS on the iPhone is partially dependent on the cellular network. So if you're, say, driving up in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and you no longer have cell service, how good is that $99 TomTom app going to be at that point? Whereas a standalone that comes with the dash mount included won't fail in dead zones. That's the deal breaker for me.

It's not dependent on the cellular network for anything other than getting an initial lock on the Satellites and speeding up the connection process. Any GPS app with maps stored locally will work fine anywhere, even without cellular signal, it'll just take longer to locate.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007

Actually - many are not cell network based. They store the maps on the phone and access the data that way. E.g. xRoads/G-Maps stores the whole western US on my phone and I never need a signal (other than GPS).

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

Umm, that $99 TomTom app will work the same way. Since you have to bring your own maps, they are stored on the device, not downloaded from the internet like the Maps app.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
not too high

Not too high in the mountains though, the device is only rated to 3000 meters.
:-0

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yepper

sure is, but that is the top of the gondola on most west coast ski neighborhoods

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
sure is, but that is the top of the gondola on most west coast ski neighborhoods

Really. And you need a GPS there ... people have been skiing longer than GPS/Cell/Silicone boobies have been around.

williamgallas10

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
I think the TomTom app is further away than we think. They didnt even have a working model to show at WWDC. When it comes to iphone apps, coming soon could be anything from a week to a year.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I think the TomTom app is further away than we think. They didnt even have a working model to show at WWDC. When it comes to iphone apps, coming soon could be anything from a week to a year.

I feel like they stated it was coming sooner than later.

Ah, here. 'Later this summer'.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

How did you want them to demo the app in a building. On a stage 50ft wide. Would they get directions from one end to the other, and pray that they could get a GPS signal through who knows how many floors. When tall building block commercial GPS receivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.