GPS Apps on an Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mustnotsleep, Apr 5, 2010.

1. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

I have wifi in my car now because of clear wimax. Does anybody know how accurate it would be for turn-by-turn navigation? could it possibly be accurate enough? I know the location with wifi does work at least somewhat well, as most location apps work flawlessly.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The built-in maps app isn't going to be anywhere near enough. You'll need an actual GPS add-on. You can always try the maps app and see what happens.

3. RandyM macrumors newbie

actually the itouch 2g third gen has a gps built in
    and mine accurate within 50.I use the stock map app it even work without wifi. It will show a map with your loaction and it move as you do. Off line when you hit directions, it saved your route as pictures, shows the close up map with typed instruction, hit next to see the next leg of your route. It's not voice featured just visual. It's free and worth checking out.

4. g2525 macrumors newbie

you should buy igps 360, its a gps module for ipod touch it cost about $75

search up igps 360 orange gadget on google

5. zacksba Guest

The iPod Touch does not have GPS built in.

6. Bert Kwok macrumors newbie

No GPS on any of the touch. Modified bluetooth stack by "Roqy" works fairly well and he is still pushing updates. I have a 2G 32GB touch with the RoqyBT stack installed. It pairs with a Holux 240Slim and a Holux M1200-E, both work well. In a contest to show correct position with a friends 3GS iphone my setup wins every time because of the weak location aided GPS of the phone. I have TomTom and it works well, as does Memory-Map.
    It is a shame that Apple hobbled a perfectly serviceable BT unit in their devices. Its all very well having access to maps via data plans and WiFi but not much use when you are out in the sticks where you might want to explore via a map or turn by turn directions.
    I bought my ipod touch purely with the hope that i could get GPS working and use offline mapping. I am glad I took the chance as it works very well.
    When budget concious boaters can find a quality enclosure they will be very interested in Apples ipad offering paired with a good GPS dongle. 1500 cheaper in any good currency than a Pana Toughbook.

7. EllieV macrumors 6502

TomTom (app) works well, a little expensive though.