GPS attachment for 2G and 1G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JHNguyen, Jun 15, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

Is their one available?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the 3G iphone when it is released.. The GPS is really cool but.. I'd only need it in my car. If there was some kind of attachment for the 2G.. I wouldn't really have a need to upgrade.

2. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

What do you mean by 2G and 1G? There could quite possibly be a 3rd party GPS module released for the original iPhone in the future, but as of now, I don't believe any have been announced as available or in the works.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well afaik, the sdk does not enable access to the dock connector

5. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Currently the iPhone's GPS will only tell you where you are, not where you are going. It's likely that third party navigation programs will come out but you need to bear that in mind just now if you're using if when driving.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

TomTom have confirmed they have their software working on the iPhone in the labs.

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

TomTom iPhone still in the works

Dutch GPS maker TomTom is still very much involved in developing its own GPS utility for the iPhone, the company's French press chief Yann Lafargue said in an interview on Friday.

Contradicting unofficial reports that the company had nothing official, Lafargue says that TomTom has been developing a version of its Navigator software for the iPhone ever since the release of the SDK and that the software works "very well."

Whether or not it will be releasable is still up in the air, he warns. The company could find itself blocked from offering the software through the App Store either as a potential competitor to Apple's own software or else as a rival to a chosen partner of the iPhone maker.

TomTom doesn't foresee a clause in the SDK guidelines against real-time tracking as affecting its development: Apple is simply protecting itself against legal threats from users who land themselves in trouble using navigation software, the representative claims.