GPS better go 16 GIG heres why----

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tttexxan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

As many I was disappointed in just 8 & 16G...We always want more!!

My current Iphone is only 8GIG with couple of movies, Music, Music Videos you get the idea. Its almost full.

When GPS arrives and other applications from Istore memory is going to dump
    quickly.

GPS maps are large from TOMTOM and can take up Gigs quickly. I would suggest on buying the 16 GIG if possible or you will be upgrading sooner than you think.

I think the plan of attack from Apple is a 32 and even 60 gig in the near future if not by Christmas...

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

TomTom app might not happen. Read article on Ars, latest SDK terms say navigation apps are now prohibited.

*edit*
    Here's the link that talks about why we might not see any other navigation apps:
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...dk-agreement-limits-gps-software-capabilities

3. mtfield macrumors 6502

haha I agree that for some hard core users 16gb is def. going to be necessary, but as much as i wish you were right there isn't a hope in hell that we will get 32 and 64 by this christmas. i can defiantly see 16 and 32 for the holidays, but going by their current model we wont see 64 till at the earliest, let me stress that... EARLIEST, xmas 2009

4. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I agree 8 gig, is going to disappear quick... particularly once you can start downloading programmes and storing documents as well the music and movies. 16 gig for me!:D

5. rolex54 macrumors 6502

apps are capped at 2GB, which is still pretty huge for a cell phone, but yeah, I will definitely be going with the 16GB, just because I know that new space will definitely come in handy

6. ScottSFA macrumors member

7. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

I don't know if the supposed TomTom app for Apple will do it the same way as other mobile phone GPS software but...the way that Telenav and Mapquest Navigator (which I currently have on my BB Curve phone) is they they don't store the maps on the device itself. They download the maps after you enter your starting and ending location.

Of course this means that the maps won't take up storage space once you close the app. This also means that if you get off track too far from where the map tells you to go, you need to have cell connection to download new data (map information) to get you back on track.

8. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Maps for a TomTom device for all of North America only take up around 900MB.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My Jensen GPS has a 1GB SD card, so it can obvioulsy be done at under that amount. If what someone said about navigation apps being banned, that blows. Google Maps is OK, but it's nothing compared to what TomTom, Garmin, etc. can do.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

Long story short, those terms are copied from the Google Maps terms, and are almost certainly just there so Apple/Google can avoid liability issues.

TomTom is not a stupid company, they wouldn't have invested the time and money to develop an app that would never be released.

11. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I don't know what your doing, but i have a 4GB iPhone and ive been able to put 6 movies on plus around 11 TV shows with plenty of room for my music.

12. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its not going to take long once you start downloading Maps and other software once apple store is up...

Watch and see

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That's not the point im making. And, I will have no problem with third party software on my phone. Although i need a new one...But that has nothing to do with the size of it.

14. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Isn't nav going to happen through google maps? I mean, we already get turn by turn directions, we just manually need to jump to the next one. I'm assuming with the addition of GPS it'll be automatic... so why would anyone need tom tom?

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

you can use google maps and just drive along the highlighted route, im not sure about turn by turn
    because tomtom can do stuff gmaps cant, such as voice guidance and has 'up' as the forward direction you are driving in, whereas gmaps up is always north
    some people may find that irritating

16. ripkord macrumors 6502

wtf is the point of GPS with no nav software? thought tomtom had an app coming out?

- from engadget regarding the wording of the SDK -

Update: Astute commenter Austin points out that these terms are copied almost word-for-word from the Google Maps API terms -- which means that TomTom and others are probably free to use their own maps to do real-time guidance.