GPS can never get location

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snverhallen, Oct 5, 2008.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

It seems my GPS can never pick me up. I always just get circle. Like the other day I was in the passenger seat of the car for 30 m. and GPS couldn't pick up my exact location at any time during the 30 m., I just got the circle the whole time.

And even more recently I was in the train for over 1 hour and again the GPS couldn't pick my location, I just got the imprecise circle the whole time.

I've tried a restore but to no avail.

snverhallen

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Same thing used to happen to me. I had to restart the phone for it to work again.

Ever since upgrading to 2.1 it hasn't happened and it's actually working quite well now.

4. sv650s macrumors newbie

I have had issues with GPS on my iPhone since I bought it, regardless of the firmware version. Often the GPS will not lock on, just giving the general location circle or saying that it can't find my location at all. I had high hopes that 2.1 would help somehow, but it actually got worse after 2.1. After searching online the "solution" was to turn off 3G, locate, then turn 3G back on... or if this doesn't work restart the phone. Usually if I turn the 3G and/or Wifi off/on the GPS will eventually lock on, but even after locking on the GPS tracking doesn't work well. While driving, the dot will often stop moving, then jump forward half a mile when it figures out where I'm at again... or it will completely lose signal and go to the general area circle again, and eventually it may lock back on to GPS. I would just dismiss it as the iPhone GPS being buggy, but in testing on other iPhones I do not see the same problem. I used my dad's iPhone right next to mine on several occassions while driving down the road and his always locks on to a signal without fail and holds the signal with the beacon accurately following.
    I am strongly considering swapping the handset as defective. My concern is that I am a past the 30 day timeframe that AT&T states on their website I can exchange the handset with them, and in reading Apple's exchange policy it looks like I will end up having to send my phone to them and be without a phone while waiting for them to send it back unless I want to pay for a rental phone from them. I'm nowhere near an Apple store so going directly to Apple is not an option.
    The point of the long post is to let you know others are having this problem. If you are within the timeframe to easily swap your phone at an AT&T store I would say give it a shot.

5. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm having very similar problems as you. I actually think I have a defective iPhone as well because (on top of abysmal battery) I was in the very open no obstruction above and I still had to wait quite a bit before my GPS locked on and even then I had a very big light blue circle around the pulsating dot which means it still wasn't very accurate.

And that 3G on and off thing doesn't work for me.

snverhallen

6. sv650s macrumors newbie

Well, I called AT&T support and after navigating through the prompts I was directed to Apple support. After discussing the problem on the phone for a while and the tier 1 tech asking some questions to a higher level tech they determined there must be a problem with the GPS antenna itself. They are sending a prepaid box for me to ship the phone in for repair/replacement. Sucks to be without the iphone for a week but I'm hoping it will come back with GPS functioning properly and no new problems.

7. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's good that they recognized it as a problem. I'll be going to local Apple place for this as well. Along with a terrible battery I hope they do something with my iPhone.

snverhallen

8. sv650s macrumors newbie

Yeah I wish I could have gone to an Apple store to have them take a look at it, but the closest one is about 4-5 hours away. I hope they are able to resolve the problems for your phone. The battery life seems to be pretty good on my iPhone, but I take measures to make it last longer. I usually keep 3G turned on, but turn off location services and Wifi when not in use. If I use location services or Wifi very much I get about 4-5 hours of use, if I don't use these features much I get more like 6-8 hours of use.

9. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

Sorry to you guys that are having problems... Lately my GPS has been working great... Locks on within 5-10 seconds. It even moves with me too.. no starting and stopping. It seems to me that it got better when Att updated there 3G maps... Or it could have been 2.1... not quite sure.. All I can say is its working great for me.

10. DigMe macrumors 6502

When I sent mine in using the prepaid box I had a replacement in hand in less than 48 hours.

11. SoSII macrumors member

after 2.1, leaving location services on all the time shouldnt make any difference to battery life (except, obviously, when you are actually using maps etc)

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

The only issue I have is my iPhone can NEVER locate me while on Wi-Fi - any Wi-Fi. I have to switch over to 3G or Edge, and then it locates me right away.

13. angrysnake macrumors newbie

gps issues

First of all I live in China. So I never get the street by street thing. My 2G phone would always find my location. I bought a Hong Kong 3G and it located just great in HK. I just visited USA and used the maps app alot. The location services were great. Now I am back home in China and my 3G can not determine location at all. I have toggled 3G on and off. WiFi on and off. but still no luck. I will try my 2G phone to see if it still locates.