GPS Chip for iPhone 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tadaas, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Tadaas macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if iPhone 4.0 uses the GPS chip from the iPhone 3GS or the new chip that was used in the iPad? The iPad's GPS is much better.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The ipad chip is no different it's the antenna that's bigger the iphone4 uses a large external antenna (metal band down side of phone) so should be better.

3. Tadaas thread starter macrumors newbie

different chip

I think it is a different chip in the iPad than the iPhone 3GS and it does use the frame as the antenna.

iFixIt’s iPad 3G teardown reveals that the tablet uses a GPS chipset that’s superior to the iPhone 3GS’s GPS hardware. Gone is the 3GS’s Infineon Hammerhead II GPS chip, replaced by the iPad 3G’s Broadcom BCM4750UBG Single-Chip AGPS Solution.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/05/03/ipad-3g-uses-lcd-frame-as-a-giant-3g-antenna/

4. kodek macrumors member

The iPhone 4 uses the iPad's GPS. It uses 3 times less power and it's 3 times faster than the 3GS's GPS.

Also, it has a new accelerometer that's more precise (forgot how much more, but it's definitely better).

Source: WWDC 2010 Sessions.

5. gb7 macrumors member

I have been testing iPhone 4 for about 30 minutes and I can say that GPS receptions seems much improved over my 3G phone. I am currently getting a lock inside my house and it did lock in very quick!