Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I did a few test runs with my Apple Watch while paired to my iPhone and the current pace displayed on my watch seems to be pretty off.

Because I need the iPhone for its GPS chip I carried it in my waist pack. But does the iPhone need good line of sight with the sky for accurate GPS readings? Or should it be able to get a good GPS reading while tucked into a waist pack?

I'm running in area where my Garmin never had a problem picking up GPS. And interestingly, the average pace displayed at the end of my runs with Apple Watch seem pretty accurate, it's only the current pace that it can't seem to get right.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
But does the iPhone need good line of sight with the sky for accurate GPS readings? Or should it be able to get a good GPS reading while tucked into a waist pack?

It should be fine. Not sure what the issue is, but it's not that.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
I did a few test runs with my Apple Watch while paired to my iPhone and the current pace displayed on my watch seems to be pretty off.

Because I need the iPhone for its GPS chip I carried it in my waist pack. But does the iPhone need good line of sight with the sky for accurate GPS readings? Or should it be able to get a good GPS reading while tucked into a waist pack?

I'm running in area where my Garmin never had a problem picking up GPS. And interestingly, the average pace displayed at the end of my runs with Apple Watch seem pretty accurate, it's only the current pace that it can't seem to get right.

According to this document:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

You should have your phone tied to your arm or you could just hold the phone with your free hand for 20 mins.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
According to this document:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

You should have your phone tied to your arm or you could just hold the phone with your free hand for 20 mins.

An iPhone is more than capable of going through fabric to maintain a solid gps lock. Think about when you use it in the car to navigate - the car's roof blocks a crap ton more than a pocket, and it still works fine.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
An iPhone is more than capable of going through fabric to maintain a solid gps lock. Think about when you use it in the car to navigate - the car's roof blocks a crap ton more than a pocket, and it still works fine.

Maybe. I just like to be safe than sorry.

A gps connection maybe alright but can the same be said for the Bluetooth connection between the phone and watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.