GPS data use???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christianpsu, Jul 26, 2008.

1. christianpsu macrumors newbie

I was wondering if I use the GPS function, does it count in my data plan? This is important especially for people who travel a lot and get lose somewhere. I'm going to Tokyo and might have to resort to using the GPS (with maps of course) to get myself around but it costs an arm and a leg for roaming data use. Can anyone help?

2. Type121 macrumors regular

The GPS itself does not use the data plan, but the maps most certainly count as data. Come to think of it, the pre-download of the satellite ephemeris will count as data too.

3. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

gps costs nothing.it's loading the maps that will cost you.

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

If you take out your SIM and go to Tokyo you should be fine, since there is no way they could charge you for data or for voice roaming. I tried taking out the sim and locating myself on the GPS and it still works. GPS is free on the iPhone and it doesn't use data to locate it self, it uses the help of cell networks if available to be more precise but other than that no. Its an A-GPS (Assisted - GPS)

5. christianpsu thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ha.. but is there a way i can preload the certain cities of a map into my memory so that it doesn't have to download or am i asking for too much here?? thanks for the previous replies.

6. christianpsu thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll definitely try that... or else i can just take my company phone's SIM card and use that instead!! thanks again!

7. Type121 macrumors regular

Not quite. part of the assistance is that the GPS software on the iPhone requests a list of potential satellites in view and the current ephemeris for each based on the current time and the current tower location. That information is provided via data usage. Now the iPhone can still calculate a fix without that info, but it will take quite a bit longer than the A-GPS method.

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Is there or do you think there will be an Offline Maps app so you dont have to load google maps if your going abroad etc?

I know there used to be on 1.1.4 (jailbroken) but dont no if there is any plans for App Store. Or wont Apple allow this?

9. Type121 macrumors regular

It'll happen, it's just not there yet. Good quality map data is expensive to license so it will likely be one of the big names that does it, meaning that (my guess) it will be a while before they get it done.