GPS doesnt work unless i turn on WIFI

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thomaspassmore, Mar 15, 2010.

1. thomaspassmore macrumors newbie

I have googled this and cant find anything.
    My GPS doesnt work at all unless I have WIFI enabled. I dont need to connect to any network - I just need to have it on.
    Why is this? Is there a way around this? It must be an error
    thanks

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

If your WiFi is on your phone will locate you by the surrounding Wifi hotspots.
    You can check this by seeing if you get a pulsating blue circle around your position on google maps. If its not there then your location isn't being found by gps.
    It sounds like your GPS just isn't working properly, try a reset network settings, or even a restore to try and fix

3. gdlcjr macrumors regular

What application are you using for the GPS? if you are using GPS and your application need data, you need to make sure you have a good 3g connection. He is right sometimes reseting the network helps fix the 3g issue. Sometimes even if the status bar say you have full 3G, does not mean you really have that connection. It happens to me a lot of times.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Mine works both ways, but can't get an accurate position unless I have wifi on. It has nothing to do with hotspots, since I'm nowhere near any.