Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westcoastcyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
On the Apple Watch Series 2 GPS will finally be included. Does this mean I will be able to use the GPS in the watch in conjunction with the Google Maps app for directions without having to rely on having the iPhone with me always?

Thanks in advance.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
No,

Map data would need to be continuously downloaded as you use it, so it still needs a cellular connection.

It also wouldn't do much good to load a predetermined route onto the watch. What if you deviate from the route, or get lost, or there's an accident and detour ahead? You won't get the new data.

(ps -- this is why I think GPS without cellular data is a halfway-done idea)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Why would you want to go out without a phone? What if someone want to call you or there's an emergency or you want to access the web? The running and hiking is obvious because you only do one function. I always don't want to bring my phone to the run and you can leave the phone at a tent or a car while going out hiking but if you want to drive somewhere, isn't it best to have a phone with you just in case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.