GPS forgot to take a left turn at Albuquerque

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duffer, Sep 17, 2008.

1. duffer macrumors regular

Since upgrading to 2.1 the iPhone can rarely find me. Everything else is great, but this is driving me crazy. I am going to try one more restore in the hope that something funny was happening with the other three. Here's to fooling myself :rolleyes:

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I wouldn't dare use the "GPS" on the iPhone in a road trip. I've been on the road since Sunday, travelling through Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, California and I'm now in Tucson. I've been using my Garmin the entire way.

I could not put up with having to look down and having to keep rotating the phone so it shows the direction I am going the right way.

The only mistakes I've made was not reading the screen on my GPS correctly and missing an exit.

If an when Garmin or Tom Tom release an app for the iPhone, I'll keep using my Garmin. Plus, my Garmin has speach recognition. I don't ever have to take my hands off the wheel.

3. duffer thread starter macrumors regular

Turning the iPhone and not having voice guidance is kind of a pain, but I was really hoping it would prevent me from purchasing a GPS unit like the Garmin or Tom Tom or having a unit installed in the car. And I never had a problem before the 2.1 update. The phone I had from Verizon before switching performed stellar with GPS. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I switched and think the iPhone is great, but if you put GPS on a phone and tout how great the feature is, make it work properly.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

People are misunderstanding what the GPS on the iPhone is intended for in it's current form. They hear GPS and they think it's meant to be like a Garmin or Tom Tom. It's not and neither is Apple advertising it as such. For now, it's function is assisting you in locating where you are in a city you may not know very well such as Albuquerque and to mark photos, the location in which they were taken. The iPhone GPS radio will also function as a true GPS when either Apple makes one or Garmin and Tom Tom are allowed to release on in the store.

Till then, it sounds like you are in need of a stand alone unit that has real GPS capabilities and the not a phone with the future capabilities.