GPS functionality with no service?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jent, Mar 3, 2012.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I will be traveling in the Sahara Desert in the future in extremely remote areas with absolutely no cell signal or wifi signal. Would the GPS still work? Could I download an app with pre-cached maps in order to explore my current location and save my travel path? Or would the GPS not be able to determine my location? If not, why? Thanks for any input!

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

This is incorrect. Just to be sure, I grabbed my 3G iPad and disabled wifi (and I've never used data on it so data was already disabled). Sure enough, the Maps app pinpointed me to my exact location when I tapped the location icon. Same thing with my iPhone. This works even if I take the micro-SIM card out. That being said, my original question still applies. Any thoughts?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, the GPS doesn’t need a connection to work. The only problem is the maps can’t be used without a connection, but if you have pre-cached maps, everything will work fine.

5. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

And GPS coverage is consistent across the world? Meaning, no matter where one is, he can get a GPS reception no matter what?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I’ve seen people use iPhones in other parts of the world (Japan, for one), but I’d only be guessing if I said it works “everywhere.” Since it uses a satellite, I’d say yes, but that’s just an opinion.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you dont need cellphone service or data to use GPS.
    GPS is free worldwide and with 24 GPS satellites operational in orbit you wont have a problem locking in within a minute or so. But like said above if you dont have a navigation or map program that has your locations maps stored locally on the phone then you'll see the dot but will have no idea where you're located or going.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon