GPS holder for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by michael31986, Nov 21, 2012.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i want something to put my iphone on when i use it as a gps in the car. is their something good i can buy for this? i know tom tom use to have one for the iphone 4 that also added extra gps signal

2. rcw2012, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

rcw2012 macrumors member

I just received this after seeing it mentioned in another thread. Not quite sure if its what your looking for but it's great and perfect position in the car for iPhone sat nav.

See link below:

http://www.mountek.com/

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks but I need a holder that suctions not sure i want to occupy my cd slot.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The CD slot one is perfect. Be careful with the suction cups b.c they are notorious for coming loose

5. rcw2012 macrumors member

Yeah if you still use your CD slot I suppose its a non-starter although I do think they say it may still work with a CD in the player but can't guarantee.

I use my iPhone and an iPod for all my music in car these days so havent used a CD in a car for for a long time :)

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Don't just assume that your definition of "good" is universal. It's a highly subjective word. What features are you looking for? What's your budget? Do you have preferences regarding how or where it mounts? Any other preferences that would help those to provide recommendations for you?

I'd highly recommend ProClip's mounting solutions but many find them to be beyond their budget. There are certainly prior threads on mounting options that you can refer to as well.

7. JamesWilliams12, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012

JamesWilliams12 macrumors member

8. From A Buick 8, Nov 22, 2012

From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I used this type of mount when i had my Garmin, was much better than the suction mounts. The suction mounts leave a ring on the window and like others said the often fail ( lose suction). I passed along my garmin to my daughter and i now ise my iPhone for directions and i use a proclip mount, i really like the proclip system.

9. michael31986, Nov 24, 2012

michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

that doesn't come with the mount for the dash. just the suction.

10. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm vacationing in Florida next week, going to use my iPhone 5 as a nav in the rental car, just surveyed the landscape of mounting solutions, thought I'd offer this solution up which is great for vent-mount, dash-mount, or windshield-mount purposes.

It's called the Bracketron Cradle-It and it's the only iPhone holder I've found that is very unobtrusive, doesn't have these large grabber things on the side, snugs the phone very tightly. It also works with an iPhone in a case, a rarity. Nothing worse than having to go caseless or put a case on/off all the time. This avoids that.

It comes with a new-type suction cup that not only works on the windshield but also adheres to dashboards, even ones with crinkle-type surfaces. It's an extra-gooey suction system.

[​IMG]

And as an added bonus, anyone who has a vent-mount (mine is from Arkon, used it for my Nuvi years back), the Bracketron Cradle-It uses the same 'ball' system and it's iPhone holder snaps easily into it. Photo of that is above in case you're not a windshield or dashboard person.

This isn't something I'm going to use in my BMW, it's just for the rental car vacation next week, but thought I'd pass it along. The big win here is how unobtrusive the cradle is along the sides of the device and that it's 'ball' connector works with vent mounts. Oh, and it's only $15.

BJ

11. Tedya macrumors newbie

This mount is simply fabulous. I have been using it for several months. The build quality is 1st-class. No cheap plastics here. The plastic almost feels like composite plastic.