GPS icon stays on when awaking from lock screen...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by lotus8, Oct 5, 2012.

1. lotus8 macrumors member

lotus8

this just started happening, after almost 2 weeks from having my phone. I've deleted any new aps that use GPS, checked the privacy settings and nothing new is showing that is has been using it. It stays on for about 10 seconds after I unlock from lock screen, then goes off. I have no idea how this started, or even worse, how to fix this.

Any ideas?

2. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

Under Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Status Bar Icon, is that turned on? If not, do you have a location based reminder set? Are you using Passbook with a location based pass? Those are the things that I can think of.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Is it passbook? It uses geofencing when you wake your device to determine your location to decide if it should display a relevant pass if going by a store or restaurant.

4. lotus8 thread starter macrumors member

lotus8

thanks guys! even though I read the other posts before looking for an answer, I must have missed it. I believe Passbook was the culprit, even though I swear when it prompted me to use location, I said no when I added Starbucks in the other day. Weird because I added that app the other day, but the GPS turning on constantly just happened starting this afternoon. Seems like problem solved.

Also, thanks for being kind to a rather newbie. I know a lot of people that registered starting with the new iPhone 5 got slammed for being a newbie and complaining, but I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to register. Glad I did.

Now even more thrilled that Tapatalk is iPhone 5 compatible to the screen :)

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

in the location services settings, if the arrow is purple, that app has used GPS recently, grey is used within 24 hours.

scroll to the bottom of the list for the full definitions.