GPS in 3G...How important REALLY?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joecatz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. joecatz macrumors member

So I am basically convinced that I can go wifi and either tether to my iphone4 or jailbreak to get access on the IPAD in the limited instances where I would not have a wifi connection.

That said, for some reason I'm still looking for a reason to buy the 3G version, and all I can come up with is GPS...

So what are the REAL WORLD reasons for having the GPS that 3G gives you provided:

1) I have an iphone4 with GPS already that will always be with me when I have my ipad.
    2) I don't forsee myself using the IPAD for driving navigation, etc...in my car, as I have a tom tom for that already.
    3) I don't really care about "checking in" from target on facebook, etc...
    4) The IPAD is going to be used primarily for us as a digital media device, movies, books, television, web surfing, gaming, apps, etc...

So someone give me a reason to buy the 3G for GPS

2. nmills macrumors regular

I use my phone for GPS and it works wonderfully. I will ALWAYS have my phone on me.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You just posted all the reasons you shouldn't get it. Those will outweigh the one reason you should get it.

4. joecatz thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I should rephrase it.

By buying the 3G Ipad, will I be able to access the GPS using wifi like I do my Iphone without having a 3g connection, and what do I gain from it in terms of apps that I may or may not use on my iphone now.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

It sounds like you don't need GPS on your iPad. Apps can still track your location on the non-GPS model iPad by seeing nearby WiFi networks. Your location won't be as exact, but it should still work fine for most apps (not navigation).

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I keep my iPhone on me for situations where GPS is needed, but it's dope that the iPad can get an approximate location even without 3G.

7. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I did a test connecting my iPod touch to my Verizon wifi. The map was accurate within a few blocks and updated every couple of blocks while driving. That gives you an idea of how accurate it is.

I'm in the exact same debate as you are. What apps use GPS besides mapping? Do any of the astronomy apps for example?

8. bilboa macrumors regular

Mapping apps are the only ones I use that require an accurate location that only GPS can provide.

Every non-mapping app that I use which makes use of location also requires a network connection. Also, most of these apps are just using location for things like showing me what movie theaters or restaurants or whatever are near me, so the location info doesn't have to be super accurate, which means the location info derived from the WiFi signal is good enough. So basically, if you don't care about using navigation apps on your iPad, then I think the choice between 3G and WiFi iPad comes down to whether you're fine with not having a cellular connection in your iPad.

9. Rob.G, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I haven't seen anything in the Apple tech specs saying that the 3G model has a GPS when the wi-fi model doesn't. I know the original iPad was this way (which is why I got a 3G), but I would also prefer a non-3G model this time too... but would want the GPS.

Anybody know for certain?

Rob

Edit: Nevermind; I just found it. Dangit, now I need a 3G...

10. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

This always surprises me how accurate it can get just with the wifi. I mean I can understand an approx. but damn, it's like RIGHT over my house...

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

If you're tethered to an iPhone4, will a Wifi iPad pull the GPS information from the iP4? That would be pretty magical.

12. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Not exactly. Works the same way as the previous poster described with his MyFi.