GPS in Central Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nickwies, Mar 1, 2010.

1. nickwies macrumors newbie

I am going to be traveling to Czech next week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on getting my GPS to work on my phone without having to mortgage my house to pay phone services. I'm pretty sure it's possible, but I will be in a small town and won't be able (I'm assuming) to grab any old wifi that comes along. I just don't want to be caught without a plan of action.

Thanks so much

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Um… iPhone? If so is it jailbroken? Somehow I think you would need an app that stores map data, so it doesn't have to get it. I use xGPS on my jailbroken iPhone and have a good chunk of california downloaded (helps in the mountains where there is no cell service.

3. theschoning macrumors newbie

iPhone GPS functions without a phone/data connection. In my experience it may need a data connection initially to help it find the new location - i.e. you will have to switch on data roaming briefly until the gps knows where in the world it is.

Assuming you are using navigon or tomtom, you should be ok without data roaming from there on as these apps have the map data preloaded - again I am assuming you have purchased the appropriate maps for your navigation software.

Jonathan.

4. sjdigital macrumors regular

GPS will work fine when abroad, provided of course that you've got a GPS App with which to use it such as Navigon, TomTom, et al. The Maps App that comes with the iPhone needs a data connection, either GPRS/3G or WiFi , so without data roaming switched on, or a local WiFi connection, it's of no use. And while a GPS App will benefit from a data connection to speed up its initial lock, it isn't essential as the GPS will eventually find your position although it may take a couple of minutes initially.

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It would help if the OP would give us some info on the phone, but this is MacRumors, so until then I guess we can assume it's an iPhone of some sort.

Watch him say: oh no, sorry it's a Razor!