GPS Inaccuracies?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Aug 16, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Has this ever happened to anyone? I am driving along the road with Navigon open, and sometimes the map would put me on the road adjacent to it, or on the wrong side of the street.

Is this just the nature of iPhone GPS built in? Would it be much better when the TomTom mount comes out? I prefer Navigon's software to the TomTom, so I hope the mount is able to communicate with Navigon instead, and use it's external GPS.

I also like having GPS audio/iPod audio routed through the speakers in my car, not built in.

2. GeneralP macrumors member

Most Auto GPS Systems have a system that even if the GPS Coordinates tell the gps that you are off the road the display still puts you "on the road"

I do not believe the iPhone has this system so it may show you off the road a little. It is displaying your position where it believes you are.

Another issue is the accuracy of the Map. I have found that Google Maps is accurate to about +/- 25 ft. Add that into the +/- accuracy of the iPhone GPS and you could be off by 50 feet.

Basically its a phone

3. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Two weeks ago, as I was walking down a street I activated Maps for the kicks of it.

Once I was "locked on", I realized that the position was off by easily 300-400 meters.

The odd thing was, over the next duration of 1 - 3 minutes as I was carrying on my foot movement, the blue dot jumped no less than 5 times, each time a few hundred meters away.

The strange thing was that the "halo" was the smallest, which means that the triangulation had actually finished rendering rather than giving a "correct to..." approximation. Odd. It was the only time it happened though.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's mostly accurate, but I am not forseeing the CIA using it to direct the drones.