GPS iphone ver.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnsingh06, Jun 29, 2008.

1. johnsingh06 macrumors member

I was just wondering...people who have an ver.1 iphone, if they upgrade to software firmware 2.0, will they being in theory be able to get a GPS attachment and using the new GPS software in 2.0 use the GPS feature in maps?

i couldnt help but wonder?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No. They will be stuck with the crappy cellular triangular service.

3. pintnight macrumors 6502

What nickspohn said. In order to use GPS, you need the hardware to be able to use GPS.

4. johnsingh06 thread starter macrumors member

If they could get a GPS attachment!!! Would it be possible that the software in 2.0 could use the GPS attactment for GPS just like the one on the 3G iPhone in google Maps?

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In theory yes because the location APIs will be available in the V2.0 software for original iPhones. (they will just use the cell tower triangulation support for location services)
    In practice, highly unlikely - there is no currently official way for add-on manufacturers to provide additional services to in-built APIs and the current bluetooth stack is hobbled to prevent anything except headphones and car-kits

6. johnsingh06 thread starter macrumors member

ive found too pieces of information that could suggest your conclusion maybe incorrect...

one...Youtube souce of a GPS attactment (however not proof of the GPS real time location functionality as the 2.0 software isnt out) but proof that u can use somethings other than headphone and speaker connections like ie a GPS attactment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dc7LbyEMms

and another source from the great zibre himself...

"External bluetooth GPS will be supported and
    managed by the "locationd" daemon."

maybe the bluetooth is the way forward to GPS being supported just like on the new 3G iPhone
    but im still opened minded weather or not it will be possible?

7. ne0star macrumors regular

This really annoys me because I'm not that bothered about the 3g aspect, but GPS would be really nice. A GPS attachment wouldn't even have to be Bluetooth. It could be a dongle no bigger than the connector on the end of the sync lead. It could even have a pass through so u could still use the dock connector.

Just another case of getting more money out of you!

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

rather than buying a GPS attachment and having this weird device hanging from your phone, wouldn't it be easier just to buy a 3G iPhone. I mean if you really need the GPS function.

9. johnsingh06 thread starter macrumors member

well I dont really need it all the time but it would just would so great having that feature in ur pocket.

Ps I've got an unlocked iPhone and dont really wanna pay 4 a new one.

10. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Parrot Bluetooth GPS w/ iPhone 1.0?

Along these lines, I have a Parrot 3400 GPS Bluetooth speakerphone, wired into my car. It mutes the radio when a call comes in, and plays the conversation on the speakers, etc...very cool. But it also has a GPS antenna. I've paired it with a Nokia, with GPS s/w and am able to get my coordinates. GPS navigation s/w is extra, so I haven't tried it.

But it'd be nice if my 1.0 iPhone could access the GPS (it's already paired for phone conversations) and navigate, w/ 2.0 software. If anyone knows, please advise. I'll try it on July 11th and let you know!

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Yes. I'd say yes - because why otherwise would other GPS companies be putting in the work to create a GPS dongle? No need for the 3G iPhone. Basically people are under NDA, but the site info is there, and a few companies have been working on it.

get 2.0 Software, and wait for announcements :)
    (theoretically, if you got 2.0 then de-activated, then depending on how the app store and the dongle worked, you could actually use an old v1 iPhone as a GPs for your car, rather than just de-activating and turning it into a Touch).