GPS is Horrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kes601, Jun 29, 2010.

1. kes601 macrumors regular

The GPS on the iPhone 4 is absolutely horrible compared to my old 3G. I have Maps find me and it consistently puts me 5 or 6 miles from my location before finally locating me. The 3G would find me instantly.

Am I the only one noticing this?

2. ljx718 macrumors 6502

opposite for me. i4 is instant for me and a lot more accurate. now if the compass would only work in the car... stupid car made of metal.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Sucks to be you. My iPhone is miles better than my old one. I'm getting sick of people complaining about everything under the sun. Restart your phone and all settings.

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I used Maps a fair amount while driving from central FL back to St. Louis this past Sunday and had no problems whatsoever. It always located me instantly & updated the maps nice and fast, even in areas with Edge only.

6. simoneves macrumors member

I have had this too, but...

I haven't really tried the GPS when out and about, but a couple of times at home it has first shown me as being in downtown San Francisco, then a few seconds later popped to my correct location about 20 miles north of there. I have to admit I put this down to me having an AT&T Microcell at home, and it perhaps using IP location as a first guess. I just tried it here at work (in San Francisco) and it went instantly to the right place.

7. kes601 thread starter macrumors regular

I complained about one thing, thank you very much. I was checking to see if others had the same problem.

To everybody else: Thank you for your input. Sounds like mine is just misbehaving for now. I'll try it at work tomorrow and see if it finds me any better there.

8. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

My Ipad picks me right up.

The iPhone takes a bit longer and puts me off the freeway most of the time.

The bigger problem is traffic not coming in at all. I usually have to switch from Sat to non-Sat to get it to refresh.

The car you drive does seem to make a difference. We have 2 Audi's and little trouble. With customers coming into town or having to do larger jobs I've rented Fusions, Flex's and MKZ's. All the new Ford cars have something in the glass that makes iPhone and iPad GPS nearly useless.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I can’t even say enough how great it is. It works on public transportation and finds the satellite in seconds. It even found me in a store. Very impressed.

10. tknice macrumors member

I'm beginning to think every complaint is a joke.

11. Ipadq macrumors member

I've noticed this too. The one on the iPad pinpoints to the exact room on Google maps satellite image while i4 is off by about 20 feet or so.

12. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Mine is so much better than the 3GS. I'm using a new cycling app and it pinpoints me almost exactly. It's quite amazing.

13. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I have noticed the GPS is better than my old 3G.