GPS is incredibly inaccurate on 3GS..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duelingdragons, Jun 19, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Maps is telling me that I'm about 2 miles away from my actual location. I've tried in a few different places.

Anyone else having this problem? :(

2. vilasgn macrumors regular

Wow...if this is really a common issue then I am really disappointed. This means Tomtom software cannot be used with in-built GPS chip.

Good job Apple if this true!

BUT, when I read engadget 3G S review, it specifically mentioned that the iPhone 3GS GPS is very accurate.

Strange!

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Try restarting your iPhone. It is normally very accurate.

4. iPhone guru macrumors member

I just got my 3GS and it seems to be the same regarding GPS as the 3G. Not much testing yet but I did a short ride with my bike already and it seemed fine. I'm using the app B.iCycle with a bike mount. Never had a GPS problem with the 3G and the 3GS seems to be fine as well. Would suck if the 3GS has worse or cheaper GPS than the 3G. Anyone else having issues???

5. xxMACxx macrumors member

Mine seems very accurate, and much faster lock on than my 3G.

6. adamdodson macrumors newbie

Yeah, try restarting. Mine locked my location immediately.

7. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried, its better (closer) now, but still way off.

8. Kepesk macrumors member

I found an area in a nearby town where my phone thinks I'm in the Netherlands. Consistently. Whenever I'm in the south half of the town, my phone thinks I'm in the Netherlands. Weird.

9. Axxl macrumors newbie

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Where are you exactly? Under wide open space?

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it depends how your locations is being figured. If it is using the sats it is fairly good but the iPhone could easily be using triangulating you position based on 3 or more sell tower. The problem with the tower method is it is not as accurate and it could be your phone is having trouble being picked up by the 3rd tower.

12. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep. Out in my yard... no trees, etc.

13. Resist macrumors 68030

This is not possible, since the accuracy to GPS for the general public is limited. Only the military gets pinpoint accuracy.

14. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

At both work and home, it places me within a few meters of my location. Sometimes it gets within about 20 meters and then updates to my exact location a couple seconds later.

Obviously it's only as "exact" as civilian GPS can be. :rollseyes:

I couldn't be happier with it.

15. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Mine was as perfect as it could possibly be, and definitely faster than the 3G at getting a lock (even indoors, albeit near a window). Also, my compass has been pretty much spot-on since I did the "figure eight" calibration moves.

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

17. DiveN4Gold macrumors newbie

Depends on what you consider "pinpoint" accuracy - consumer GPS can be pinpointed within around 10 feet. So I'd call that pretty "pinpoint". I'm not sure what knowledge you think you have about military GPS, but I've been in several military HUMVEE's and they're certainly not much more accurate than that.

18. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

That is not true, it was called selective availability which introduced variable errors in the signals which degraded civilian (non-military) receivers, but that was turned off in 2000. Military and Civilian GPS system are basically the same now.

19. Resist macrumors 68030

You are correct, but I still think the military gets slightly better accuracy on their GPS devices. While we get accuracy within 10's of feet, I am sure they get it within inches.

20. Resist macrumors 68030

Didn't know there were different definitions for the word "pinpoint".

If you were to take a pin and stick it on a map, the point is where you are. This is an exact location, not an area within a circle of accuracy.

21. pooryou macrumors 65816

Every town should have a place like that :cool:

22. dagomike macrumors 65816

23. Vid macrumors member

Depending on the diameter of the pin and the scale of the map that is most definitely a circle of accuracy.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It told me I was in the middle of my cul-de-sac, not my bedroom. So it's off by maybe 50 yards.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Mine's spot on. Within. Couple of yards, at least.