GPS is not working after 2.0 update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by irodex, Jul 31, 2008.

1. irodex macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I was on 1.1.5 and was able to connect to Skyhook to get my location fine, I then updated to 2.0 and now I can not get a connection/lock. This is very frustrating...am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

2. gear71428 macrumors member

I don't think the ipod touch has GPS.

I think the skyhook location service works by finding wifi hot spots and determining your location in relation to those wifi hot spots.

Several people have mentioned that since the 2.0 upgrade; their ipod touch's have diminished wifi reception. Perhaps you can't get as many wifi hot spots as you used to before the upgrade and skyhook doesn't work as well consequently.

Just a guess.

3. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

That's probably it. Many have reported worsened WiFi reception since 2.0, and WiFi is what the iPod Touch uses to get location.

To the OP: Make sure your Location Services setting is on. (Settings>General>Location Services)

4. danimal99 macrumors regular

I've never seen the Location Services actually work. I put 2.0 on it after I had it about an hour, and I don't remember trying to locate me in the Maps app when it still had 1.1.4 on it. Anybody else had it working fine before, then not at all in 2.0? All it does for me is spin the little busy icon until I give up.

5. irodex thread starter macrumors newbie

It randomly started working this morning, but only for a couple minutes then it stopped. About an hour later is started again but stopped about half an hour later.

It sounds like what was described above...with the wifi being weak.

Does anyone know how to maybe fix this on 2.0?