GPS issues since 8.4?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by starstreak, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. starstreak macrumors 6502

iphone 6+ 128GB. I noticed that GPS takes a while to connect. What used to be almost instant, programs like maps,tomtom,waze takes like 30seconds for a good gps lock.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Sounds like another polished, thoroughly tested iOS release then...

3. Crooks macrumors regular

I have noticed this. Today while using my iPhone on CarPlay, my GPS kept disconnecting. I know it's not a network issue because I've never had ANY issue with GPS dropping in this area in the past. And it kept dropping consistently...

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've just tried maps on my iPhone and it got a GPS lock instantly

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Some GPS accessory fixes are listed in the update release notes. It would seem that they have tinkered...

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Based on one user's experience from a fairly small period of time shortly after the update? I think we all now that there are way too many variables there on top of simply not even close to enough statistical data to come to any conclusion or even a theory.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Quite true. I'm just highly jaded by Apple and haven't jumped on this update. It sucks that I feel obliged to wait for user feedback before installing an update. It's the same with apps, so many are worse after an update that I hang fire with those too.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, anything major/widespread would have already been pointed out by now. Beyond that, there are always people with all kinds of issues with any update, but most of those don't apply to most others, so going by that feedback doesn't always tell others much about what the update will be like for them (which in most cases is just fine and no better or worse than other updates).

9. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree, tried with two gps programs including maps and locked instantly.

10. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

No problems that I can see with GPS on my updated phone

11. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Having GPS issues since the update. Says im a couple blocks away. I'm an Uber driver, so no $$ today until I fix it or Apple.

12. MacNerd1239 macrumors member

Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze work perfectly and instantly as far as I can tell. Running 8.4 from an OTA update on a 64GB iPhone 6, Verizon Wireless.

Edit: Has anyone tried resetting Network Settings as well as Location & Privacy to remedy the issue? That should do it, if it's not happening to everyone it might just be a configuration glitch from the OTA update.

13. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried resetting my network settings. Didn't help. GPS still seems a bit flaky. I'll try later when I get back to the car and see what happens. It's almost like it's not getting enough satellite locks. I know my windows phone had that issue years back.
    Since I had to redo my wifi connections while at home, I also noticed it dropped wifi twice. But I'm not sure if I can blame that on the 8.4.
    I didn't try resetting the location and privacy yet.

Oh, if it helps, I'm on AT&T network using a Verizon iPhone 6+ (unlocked and fully paid for) same one I had since the 6+ was released.

14. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

I did a full reset of phone and GPS is working fine again.. Will try from back up, if problem returns. I'm going to start fresh

15. wuman82, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

wuman82 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem after the update. Google maps just doesn't work, well it works but its not at all accurate, it has me all over the place, I think its working with signal triangulation rather than GPS signal. Tried Waze also and told me it can't connect to GPS signal.

16. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Same problem, do what I did. Back up and then Reset the whole phone, (like new). Try it out and make sure GPS works fine, once you confirm that all is well, restore your back up to your phone and everything should work including Waze.

I even drove a couple blocks to make sure it was good and it was!

17. wuman82 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try when I get some time.

But, Ugh! why do we even need to resort to this?

18. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Yeah its difficult, and I couldn't wait for a future update to fix it.

Also if it helps, I tried the method I said earlier all by Macbook. Not OTA.

19. oscsjc macrumors member

oscsjc

20. campyguy macrumors 68040

Just chiming in with some input - the recent solar activity has been affecting radio communications off and on since the middle of June. One of the surveyors I am acquainted with didn't listen to me about this and now he's got a fried Total Station, and two others had to resort to the old rod-and-chain to get a site surveyed as their GPS-based system was going haywire.

I regularly check NOAA's Space Weather Conditions, with today's forecast including "isolated periods of unsettled activity are possible on day one (01 Jul) in response to an Earth connection with a small positive polarity coronal hole."

My brother's in Sitka, and he can't use GPS at all and hasn't been able to get a decent lock for 3-odd weeks now, and he's resorting to star charts to nav about while out fishing. The Northern Lights show has made up for it, tho'...

21. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Well all the resets for network and location services seemed to help.
    Or maybe it was by chance that whole solar activity mentioned caused the issue. Main thing is I think my GPS is working again.

22. scott523, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

scott523 macrumors 6502a

GPS works fine for me.

Apple Maps search/directions, however, is not working for me. It's been saying I'm not on the Internet when I can search via Google and easily type up this post on AT&T LTE.

23. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I just got off the phone with Apple tech and they confirmed is a bug with ATT phones so far... my GPS wont work at all while on LTE, it works fine on Wifi. No solution so far.

24. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Yep indeed. Deliberate or not, AT&T is blocking access to Apple Maps, Beats 1, iTunes, and App Store.

25. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I only have a problem with GPS.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.