GPS? My current one or Switch to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Sep 17, 2010.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So I currently have a Navigon 7200 in my car, but was wondering if I would be better off upgrading to a GPS on the iPhone?

Which are the best?

Thanks!

2. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I have the TomTom app for my phone as well as a stand alone TomTom unit. I prefer the phone version because it is always with me.

3. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I've never had GPS capability before the iPhone (so keep that in mind). :D

Now that I have Navigon and the built in Maps app (and a couple others by MotionX)....can't see any reason to have a separate device for this. I use Navigon and Maps each several times weekly.

Maybe for some certain instances it might make sense for a separate specialized GPS device, but you might find there is already a GPS enabled app available that will replicate whatever functionality you are looking for. There are a lot of good apps in the Navigation genre.

4. ivan300 macrumors member

I used both navigon and tomtom.

Tomtom has more POI but the gui is crap. I cant stand the look of their maps.

Navigon, doesn't have as many POI. The GUI is beautiful especially with the 3d terrain option.

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

This is a very open ended question that has no specific answer for your needs.

1) What do you think the pro's and con's are for each system?
    2) How does that apply in your particular situation?

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

Similar to a previous poster, I had a standalone TomTom device and now have the TomTom app on my iPhone 4. The iPhone version is miles ahead of the standalone device because the phone is so much more powerful and has a much better touchscreen.

I'd say find a good app but bear in mind that you'll have to shell out for a decent one. I don't know anyone who has regretted buying TomTom.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

One thing I've not seen posted here is that the iPhone has Assisted GPS. This means that in many ways it is better than a stand alone GPS unit. The Assisted part uses cell tower triangulation to get a faster lock on to your unit. A stand alone unit cannot do this as it has no communication with cell towers. It also means that the phone can operate better in city canyons and leafy parks and other places where a stand alone unit would have trouble because of blocked GPS signals. Lastly it allows, to an extent, your location to be shown inside of buildings where a stand alone unit cannot work at all.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Using Navigon on the iPhone 4 is way better than my husband's free standing TomTom. As others said, it's faster to get an initial GPS lock, and it's more convent to carry one device instead of two.

One big advantage I haven't seen mentioned yet is the integration with other apps: both the Yellow Pages app (in the US) and the app AroundMe work very well in conjunction with Navigon. You can locate a place of interest or retail establishment in either of those apps, and connect directly from there to Navigon. No copy/paste of addresses needed. AroundMe also works with TomTom's app. If you're jailbroken, there's also "Navigate from Maps" in Cydia, which allows you to do the same thing with the built in Maps app, linking directly to either Navigon or TomTom.

The integration with apps like these makes Navigon way more useful to me than the standalone program alone.

9. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

I have a standalone germin and the navigon app for the iphone. The app is a whole lot better. Its ready to go as soon as you pick the app. The germin take about 5-8 mins.

10. azhava macrumors regular

I've had several different hand-held GPS units, but have never owned a dedicated in-car unit. Navigon works great on my iPhone 4 and gives me everything I need for in-car navigation. I like the UI, the text-to-speech navigation works well (even through my Jabra BT530 earpiece) and the navigation has been flawless for me so far. Startup and GPS lock are nearly instantaneous and I've never had it lose GPS signal yet.

The only reason it can't/won't fully replace my Garmin GPS60CS is that I use the Garmin on my dirt bikes in a RAM Mount, and I wouldn't subject my iPhone to that kind of abuse - lots of dirt, dust and mud, lots of vibration and yes, the occasional crash.

11. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Same for me.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

True, as far as getting a quicker first lock.

A common misconception with iPhone users. That's not what "assisted" means in the case of the iPhone Assisted-GPS.

A-GPS is about using GPS satellites. Cell id (and WiFi position) are separate locating methods from A-GPS.

Used together, they are called a "hybrid" system, where each is used when called for or necessary if another is missing or not ready.

True, those are advantages of using a hybrid system.

13. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i actually just sold mine cus i never used it anymore

14. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I have about a 3 year old TomTom One and I got the TomTom App about a month ago. I would have to say the App greatly exceeds the stand alone device because it's on your phone and it's a lot smoother on my phone than the device. I guess just because it's old but it's really convenient that it's on my phone.

15. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

and the nice thing with TomTom for iPhone vs standalone TomTom is that with each app update come news maps... Dont know how long it'll be like that but it's a big plus for me. My TomTom one had 3 years old maps and I would have had to pay to updates them so I sold it and bought iPhone App... :)

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Motion X is awesome. I use it just about all the time when I'm on the road. Works better and is easier and faster to use than the Navi built into my car. I usually use the in-dash one just to see more details but the iPhone routes me turn by turn via bluetooth in the car and shows me the up close view.

17. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I'm the type that only needs to see the general route that I'm taking and then I'll memorise it. Therefore I love the Google Maps GPS/route. I never liked those turn-by-turn GPS programs, because based on my experience in my friends cars, they just blindly follow it even when it leads them one big round and they can't tell at all.