GPS not accurate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maiden16tiger, Aug 24, 2008.

1. maiden16tiger macrumors member

i have to walk more than 80 yards in order for my iphone to locate my location.
    like, if i was just standing somewhere, it wouldnt detect me.... anyone has this problem?

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

it's pretty damn accurate for me. i was just in the woods and it pinpointed me with no problem.

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if you're inside a house that might be the problem

ive noticed on the first floor of my house it always reads like across the street. when i go upstairs its accurate.when i step outside its accurate too

5. cambridge1807 macrumors member

I was at Angel Stadium last night and used the GPS as I walked around the stadium for a while. Seemed to locate me fine around the stadium. No troubles with my GPS so far.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That must be ONE HELL of a HOUSE.:eek:

7. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Mine has also been able to pinpoint and track my location pretty accurately too. I have no complaints about the accuracy of the GPS

8. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

My speciality is training students to use integrated GPS units
    worth $80-$100,000.
    I am blown away by the accuracy of the cheap little GPS chip in the iPhone.
    (and other phones as well).
    Love the map integration too!

9. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

LMAFO! haaha

10. needthephone macrumors 6502a

The gPS itself is very accuarte (as accurate as TOM TOM, or any other GPS chip).

The issue is with Google Maps. You think it has to locate your position, retrieve a map for that position, then move and do it again as fast as you are travelling-that aint going to happen with any real degree of reliable accuarcy at speed over an average 3G connection.

GPS with the iphone is severely hampered with Google maps, It need its own built in map database to be of any use really.

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

works fine for me driving at 70mph, always accurate, and maps download very fast, even over gprs

12. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I like it when I am not moving and the blue dot moves. Thats the best, but hey, its better than nothing.

13. benfica88 macrumors regular

Check with a genius. Mine worked fine since I bought it. Then recently it started misbehaving. It would lose me all the time and in google maps the blue halo around the tracking ball would fluctuate in size. With my replacement iphone it now finds me in about 5 seconds and halo disappears almost instantly.

14. andy007 macrumors regular

Don't forget that GPS needs line of sight to the satellites in order to function correctly. If you are indoors expect errors in where the GPS says you are located.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

GPS is always really spotty for me. Sometimes it follows me closely, other times, it's got a gray circle around it and it sucks. It's different depending on the clouds and environment you're in.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Depends where I am at

In some spots, it is exactly right

In others, it is within a block or so

17. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Even my Garmin handhelp mapping GPS unit will float when I am standing still. I think that's the nature of GPS, it is constantly receiving information and calculating and plotting position, so it floats a little.

That one has an option to lock on roads to keep it tracking directly on the road, if you turn that off it won't always track exactly on the road, it will drift from side to side.

18. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Thanks for the info... I didn't know that. :)