GPS not showing Blue dot...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hardcoredan52, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

I got my iphone on launch day and of course played with all the features. When I used the GPS it worked fine.. even in the car. Well other than that I've never used the GPS. Anyway last night I tried to use the GPS and the blue dot wouldn't drop at all. It just gave me the blue ring. I've tried numerous locations to see if the blue dot would fall but no dice. I have 3G on all the time, but I turn off the location services. I turned it back on when I went to use the GPS of course. But nothing.. anyone have the same problem or and suggestions on what I should do?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

iPhone resorts to cellular triangulation (the blue circle) when it loses connection with the satellites needed to provide a precise GPS reading.

This usually occurs when you are trying to locate yourself within a building.

iPhone consults three services to locate you. 3G/Edge (Cellular), Wifi and finally GPS.
    If you are subject to all three, at the time of requesting location, great, you'll get back a pretty decent, accurate response.

If not - you'll get a triangulation (a guesstimate).

Large blue circle - 3G/Edge Cellular triangulation
    Smaller blue circle - Wifi triangulation
    Blue dot - Satellite GPS reading

R-Fly

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

you need to make sure your in good view of the sky for satellites to pick you up ie not in buildings, not in city centres where surrounding tall buildings may block signals

4. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

That generally means the GPS satellites can't pick up your location for whatever reason...

Basically, the only thing that's picking up your location is the Assisted part of the GPS or the triangulation..

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Really depends on where you are! For eg if you're in a big building, the gps wont be able to find you!

Also, you dont need 3G on for GPS to work! If it isnt able to grab you're location.... Edge'll do the job better of finding you than 3G considering how many 3G antennae ATT has right now!