GPS not working after firmware update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukeman3000, Jul 16, 2008.

1. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

The title says it all. My current position can no longer be found, it just thinks forever. Any suggestions?

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I had this happen to me. As crazy as it sounds, what I did was zoom in on my local area and then suddenly it picked it up from there and pinpointed my exact location. I have no idea if it was coincidence or not. The only thing that made me think to try it is that this is an A-GPS system where it can use cell towers to get the rough area, making it easier for the GPS to lock onto an exact location. Like I said, it could have just been coincidence.

3. HeavenDivine macrumors member

Sell on ebay.

4. iWizzard macrumors regular

OMG! lukeman3000 killed of all GPS satelites!
    - YOU bastard. Now I will newer be able to find my way home.

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

All ur GPS r belong to lukeman3000!

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

WHAT firmware update? There's only one firmware for the iPhone 3G.

7. Yossarian macrumors member

If you do a restore you get an update but it must be sufficiently minor for them not to have pushed it to all devices as a recommended update (it'd be a poor user experience if the first thing you had to do was download a new firmware package!).

Regarding GPS, it's been a while but when I used to work with these devices at an integration level they'd maintain internal tables of information on satellite positions for their current location. Therefore if you cleared them somehow or moved them 500 miles and then switched them back on they'd take some time to rebuild those tables (as the sky suddenly looks nothing like what it was expecting from a sat position point of view). Old chips used to need battery backup to hold those tables non-volatile, i'm sure the fancy new chips store it in non-volatile memory but if it were cleared somehow (by a firmware update for instance) they may take a while to get a fix for the first time.