iPhone XS Max GPS not working in airplane mode on an airplane anymore?

isobel76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Germany
Hi,
I have a quite annoying problem with my launch day XS Max. I travel a lot and always used my iPhones in airplane mode to track my flights while on the plane. With all iPhones prior to the XS Max, I was able to acquire a GPS fix quite quickly during the flight, even if not sitting close to a window. It was very convenient to always know where you are and get photos taken of the landscape below geotagged correctly. Not so with my XS Max. After a couple of minutes no GPS fix is possible at all and it won't come back until after touchdown and getting close to the gate. What could be the reason behind this? I thought about a speed or height cap in the GPS receiver or a weak GPS antenna. The latter is rather unlikely as GPS on the XS Max works fine on the ground and performs similar to my previous iPhones.

Any thoughts on this?

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Hi,
I have a quite annoying problem with my launch day XS Max. I travel a lot and always used my iPhones in airplane mode to track my flights while on the plane. With all iPhones prior to the XS Max, I was able to acquire a GPS fix quite quickly during the flight, even if not sitting close to a window. It was very convenient to always know where you are and get photos taken of the landscape below geotagged correctly. Not so with my XS Max. After a couple of minutes no GPS fix is possible at all and it won't come back until after touchdown and getting close to the gate. What could be the reason behind this? I thought about a speed or height cap in the GPS receiver or a weak GPS antenna. The latter is rather unlikely as GPS on the XS Max works fine on the ground and performs similar to my previous iPhones.

Any thoughts on this?
GPS should work in airplane mode. I have a Max that recently went on a flight and had no issues. I didn't check my GPS but I know it works as I took pictures in flight over Chicago and Wyoming. All pictures were geo tagged accordingly. Perhaps it was a fluke on the plane? Something else?