GPS not working in China?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by netcongestion, Aug 17, 2008.

1. netcongestion macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just arrived in China. My iphone is not able to locate me. GPS should work here too, or did I miss something?

Thanks and regards,

Philipp

2. qps macrumors newbie

Hi, No there should not be any problems using your GPS in China or any where else in the world, since the GPS is a Global tracking system using satellites all you need is to have clear view of the sky and you should be fine.

3. max1018 macrumors member

max1018

Well, actually since it's assisted GPS, it might have a problem if you aren't connected to WiFi or a cellular network. The same thing happened to mine when I tried it out, and it couldn't do it. It's also the fact that you need it needs to download the maps as it find where you are.

If it doesn't work I recommend just leaving it a bit longer, or restarting device.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

China has blocked the US GPS before: http://www.newsmax.com/smith/china_eyes_GPS/2007/11/20/50867.html

Also, the US is also able to turn it off over geographical areas when needed. With that said, arriving in China would be a "cold start" for a GPS receiver and the startup time is lengthy. I agree with the other poster that you might have better luck if you connect to both cell and wifi service.

Olympics?

5. netcongestion thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Changzhou, three hours away from Shanghai (by car, I could tell you more exactly if I had GPS ;-) - so no olympics near. I can surf the Internet, but I won't get GPS Location. Either is disturbed by China or shut down by the US. Though both explanations are kind of hard to believe.

thanks!

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. Unless you actually see missiles in the air it is probably something else. Hope you get it worked out.

One more thing and sorry to ask... Location services is on? :)

7. netcongestion thread starter macrumors newbie

I get reception now - or at least sometimes - but it doesn't help much, as google maps do not have any details. (there are only chinese highways on google maps, no city streets etc.)

8. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

Darn those commies :p heck if i know it got me in poland though :D

9. frankvanrest macrumors newbie

How did you do it?

I'm having the same problem. I'm north east of Beijing, but I can't get GPS to work. I've tried to solution that "bcalisto" gives on http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/09/17/gps-not-working-under-iphone-os-21-fix/ but that's also not working. I think it has something to do with China, but you said it worked for you.
    What did you do to get it working? Which firmware are you on?

Thanks

10. angrysnake macrumors newbie

it is 2.1

I have a 2G and 3G iphone. The 3G GPS work great in HK(country of origin) and in USA. When I arrived home here in China. It did not work. I have tried all the tricks and tips. I was pretty sure it worked in china with 2.0 and 2.01. but I do not remember. However, The 2G phone GPS always worked on 1.14. Once I upgraded to 2.1 it did not work at all. I just downgraded the 2G back to 1.14 and it works again. Perhaps I should downgrade my 3G to an older firmware. Anybody want to try and report back?

11. angrysnake macrumors newbie

China GPS update

After spending 2 days trying to find older or newer maps app. And also trying to downgrade my 3G 2.1 to an earlier firmware. I got GPS to work in china. The last thing I did was DFU restore to 2.1 (downgrading a 3G phone from 2.1 is impossible. I tried all the different computer/ older iTunes combinations). I rechecked GPS status after finished. No luck. set up as new phone. Went ahead and quickpwnd. Checked again....nope. Transfered my sms logs and call logs. and put my "legal" apps back in. Today after the maps app timed out I set it to never autolock and used TrackThing a free app in iTunes store. I used the geo button and waited as I drove to work. After about 10 minutes it had a location. Closed it and opened maps. SUCESS! a little blue dot moving along the map. I am on China Mobile, 3G turned off, data apn: Cmnet user & password: blank. I do not know if redoing everything made a difference. As I have read that using TrackThing has solved it for others.