gps not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deadman64, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

my gps seems to think I'm in jersey when I'm def not... Is anyone else having this problem?

2. dl13 macrumors newbie

My friend and I are having the same issue. Is it saying you're in Belmar, NJ? He had his 3G turned off and it found him while mine was on and it put me in Jersey. I told him to turn on his 3G and try it, which he did, and he got the same result. I guess by fixing the bugs, they added a new one with 3G and gps

3. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm.... I just tried it again with wifi on and of worked....

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I've been having a problem where it'll just say 'unable to locate' - I've never had this issue previously.

5. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

6. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I too am having this problem with GPS 'unable to locate' and I also have never had this issue before. 2.11 anybody?

7. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Are you sure it isn't just picking up the Skyhook database and either it is wrong, or you moved/got a router from there?

If it works fine with WiFi off, then it is most likely the database being incorrect.

8. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, are you indoors or outdoors when this happens?

Even dedicated GPS devices have trouble getting satellite contact when you're indoors, and iPhone is just a half-assed little quasi-navigator so I wouldn't expect it to perform magic...

When I'm outdoors iPhone is usually able to pinpoint the location down to a range of a few meters, but when indoors it just kinda draws a circle around my town and then gives up.

9. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I also just tried the GPS with wifi connected and it worked fine. I then left the area where I had wifi and the GPS continued to work so......

10. J2theizzle macrumors newbie

Fix 2.1 GPS "unable to locate"

Step 1. Turn off 3g
    Step 2. Open maps, Location should be detected
    Step 3. Turn 3g back on
    Step 4. Open any app, you should be able to find your location

This worked for me I had never had problems with GPS prior, was disappointing but got it fixed by doing the above steps.

UPDATE: seems to only work while fixed in that position, I turned it on later to try and no luck.
    UPDATE 2: 10 minutes later 3g and gps started working together again