Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kksolano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
london
Help. I’m thinking of buying a handheld GPs unit to get myself around without getting lost on my bike here in London. Is there a Memory map like software for mac? Or is a to z mac friendly?

Does anyone else here use GPs positioning mapping devices with much luck on a mac?

osxnewbe

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
This is may not be what you are looking for but I use a Garmin Geko 201 for navigation and as an odometer for running and cycling. It’s a low-end unit (I paid $120USD 3 years ago) but it was the least expensive one I found that has WAAS.

It’s not a mapping unit but I have programmed in waypoints to find addresses in the past. It does record where you've been and can accept waypoints for navigation either from a stored position or manually entered. While it won't give you turn-by-turn directions, it at least gets me close enough to a location I am trying to find (as long as the lat/long is reasonably accurate).

I am going to try GPS Connect for OS X very soon. I just need to get a serial to USB converter for the Garmin data cable…

If you have to run a Windows based navigation program, it could be done using either Bootcamp or Parallels though....

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Whilst reading about how to install a mac mini into my car, I came across a fair bit of info regarding GPS... I read somewhere that Garmin are working hard on total mac compatibility, which is neat! and there's more and more software coming out for mac use... :)

James

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Cybix said:
Whilst reading about how to install a mac mini into my car, I came across a fair bit of info regarding GPS... I read somewhere that Garmin are working hard on total mac compatibility, which is neat! and there's more and more software coming out for mac use... :)

James

Yep, that's the word from Garmin. Expect it by the end of 2006.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Steve1496 said:
Yep, that's the word from Garmin. Expect it by the end of 2006.
Well, that's just for "Training Center" software. It would take many months after "the end of 2006" for people trained on that program to actually produce consumer software. I'd say check Garmin next Summer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.