iPad Pro GPS on all iPad PRO versions?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pr0230, Nov 13, 2015.

1. pr0230 Suspended

I was going to buy the iPad PRO with Cellular just to get the GPS feature. I don't have a data plan...
    But then I read the specs and it appears that apple is including the GPS feature on ALL VERSIONs..
    Wifi & Cellular...

Am I correct in what I read?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You're reading it wrong, I'm afraid. From the specs page

I believe assisted GPS functionality uses cell tower information to improve fix times, which is why it's only in devices with cellular functionality

3. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

The whole only on cellular makes no sense. There are plenty of people who use these devices without connecting to a carrier. But Yes, you do need the cellular model to get GPS.

4. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

OH Right... It's the + Sign .. I'm reading WI-FI AND Cellular models... They should just put Cellular model...
    Thanks!!!

5. thedon1 macrumors 6502

The GPS chip is part of the cellular component which is why it's only included in those models.

6. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

Hmm...I turned WiFi off on my NON-cellular iPad Pro...went to maps and it got a perfect fix on where I am. How is it doing it? When I say perfect...I mean within about 3 metres indoors

EDIT: Okay, it was just remembering from when I did have WiFi on

7. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

It also is assisted by wifi, the routers contain location info often,. This was Apples first 'acts-like GPS feature'. It's been around a while.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's a slightly different thing - Assisted GPS is a specific technology that is designed to improve the time to first fix by utilising cell tower information

9. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Even the non-cellular iPads will still lock onto a general location using Wifi, just like how your MacBook can show up close to its actual location in Find My iPhone, and get a location in Maps, even though it doesn't have GPS.

10. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Try walking around your neighborhood to confirm if it does or doesn't have GPS. Hopefully one day Apple will decide to be less greedy and include GPS in WIFI only devices like with the competition.