iPad GPS on iPad 2 wifi - Help please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MNFL, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MNFL macrumors member

MNFL

When i purchased my iPad 2, i didn't for the 3G model. Well, no i kinda need it. :rolleyes:

I have an iPhone4. and the GPS works perfectly on it using TomTom.

However, i'm thinking it would be much easier to navigate through the GPS on the iPad's big screen.

Any app (on cydia maybe) that could help me with my issue?
    I know that it's impossible since the build-in 3G isn't available, of course. but i was thinking maybe an app that helps me use the 3G from my iPhone, to activate my iPad's GPS :)

PS: something other than the Bluetooth GPS Receiver.

Thanks,

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

But my iPhone is still in IOS4. Should i upgrade then?

4. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

But my iPhone is still in IOS4. Should i upgrade then?

PS: do you know the CydiaApp TetherMe?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Tethering works in iOS4, I used to have it activated on my iPhone.

No I don't know TetherME, used the Apple supported option last I tethered. Also not sure how I accidentally stepped into the hackers forum... probably should step back out.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thread got moved

7. MNFL thread starter macrumors member

MNFL

Where can i find that option please? :)

8. mbolinao, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

mbolinao macrumors newbie

I have a wifi only iPad2 too and I installed "BTStack GPS" from Cydia. Although I'm using an Android phone and I installed an additional app in it called "ShareGPS" so it actually shares my phone's GPS signal to my iPad2 via bluetooth. It works perfect, like my iPad2 is a 3G version, and I can use location-based apps like Maps, Foursquare, Find My Friends, etc with no problem.

Last time I checked BTStack GPS in Cydia, I read that they are working on making iPhone units work on it, maybe they already have.
    Also, I'm not sure if Cydia has a similar app like ShareGPS for iPhones, or if they would actually ever need it.

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You can find it all the information about tethering HERE.

10. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Just buy a 3G iPad, and don't activate the 3G plan. All this gps share is a pain.

11. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

12. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Purchase a bluetooth GPS that is apple certified. Dual XGPS 150 is probably the best so far, but there is also the GNS MFI 5870 & Bad Elf GPS, among others.

They pretty all much run $100 or under from amazon. (They also work without hacking the ipad/iphone.)

http://www.amazon.com/GNS-5870-MFI-Receiver-iPhone/dp/B004289ZW0

http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-X...tooth-Smartphones/dp/B006M49G80/ref=pd_cp_e_0

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-Receiver-generation-66-channel/dp/B0035Y7ZJ2/ref=pd_cp_e_1

There are some others too, the MFI is being redesigned to eliminate the sucky on/off swipe, they are putting in a real on/off switch instead.

I have used all three, the Dual is the one I like the best for my car/aviation apps.

13. shawndre macrumors member

I share the gps from my iPhone to my iPad. There is an app called trygpsout, you need to uninstall that on your iPhone and then connect on your iPad with btstackgps.

Works great, doesn't work on 5.1.1 for some reason.