GPS on iPhone 4... Any better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ReflexReact, Jun 26, 2010.

1. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

The sav nav apps on my 3G were great, however the poor GPS antenna made them pretty useless in built up cities where the signal wasn't strong enough to provide prompt navigation.

Has this been improved on the iPhone 4? Anyone been out for a drive yet to see if the GPS signal is any better!?

I know it's a new GPS component, so I have high hopes!!

2. Encryptic macrumors member

I've found that when using Navigon on my 3GS, I used to get a pop-up that made me wait until signal could be locked or I could use their simulation mode. So far, the iPhone 4 has been locking on to GPS signal almost instantly for me.

3. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I've found the GPS to be much better. The phone locks on a lot faster and displays the correct address, unlike the 3GS I had which would be off by a few houses.

4. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

For me, it is a LOT improved. I use the GPS for Geochaching. With my 3G, the app's accuracy was normally between 56 (if I was lucky) feet to (usually) 96+ feet. Now, it's usually less than 16 feet and the worst I have seen was 33 feet and that was when I had total tree coverage. I am very much impressed with the GPS now. :)

5. nintapple macrumors member

I'm using the gps right now in the passenger seat and it's basically spot on and extremely fast. However, the compass integration with gps in the google maps app is glitchy and wrong sometimes.

6. haulis macrumors regular

I have also noticed a big improvement from the 3GS. Locks on much faster and I haven't lost a signal at all while driving. Very happy with it.

7. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

Great news, looks like I need to go out and buy tom-tom or navigon, and hopefully it'll work better in cities!!

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

GPS is great on the new iPhone. I purchased Navigon when it was on sale 2 weeks ago and it's been working flawlessly.

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Does navigon have speech turn by turn?

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeeup.

GPS reception seems much stronger to me, for what it's worth.