Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Obviously the new iPhone has GPS built right in. We all saw it in the keynote. I just need some clarification on whether or not iPhone users wanting to use GPS need to sign up for the additional $10/month per phone for AT&T's GPS service. Chances are this is what experts call a "no brainer" :rolleyes: , but I think it's appropriate to lay down as many cards as possible to make all the features of the phones and required features of a plan w/ AT&T as clear as possible.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Thanks phil & gibbz. Gives me some food for thought here, because according to the AT&T employee who did our credit check yesterday having the GPS working is extra... Going to create a new post with the additional cost thing in the subject line, maybe get more responses and see what the consensus is.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Addt'l cost from AT&T for using realtime GPS on iPhone 3G?

According to the AT&T store employee who did our credit checks yesterday, AT&T says you need the $10/month-per-line GPS plan to use the iPhone's Google Maps feature as realtime GPS. MacRumors members philglider and gibbz disagree (thanks for responding, guys). What's the word in your area or with the people you've talked to or that you know? This is a significantly important feature to all the expectant iPhone 3G users, and I'm not too keen on the fact that it hasn't been spelled out. Thanks.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
What does GPS working have to do with AT&T providing anything except the Data communication between the Google Maps backend (or another Map program if available)? They are not providing anything to do with GPS. The GPS receiver is built into the new 3G iPhone. And if you are talking about the current iPhone, you won't be able to use it anyway. The $30/mo is for a Smartphone. And the use of the 3G technology whether you use 3G or EDGE.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Thanks phil & gibbz. Gives me some food for thought here, because according to the AT&T employee who did our credit check yesterday having the GPS working is extra... Going to create a new post with the additional cost thing in the subject line, maybe get more responses and see what the consensus is.

It is a general rule of thumb that AT&T retail employees are the last to know anything and often pull things from their rear. AT&T offers their own location-based services listed here.

This is different from what Apple offers. Apple has the GPS functionality built in and is independent of some AT&T gps plan. No need to pay for anything additional.

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA
hes jus thinkin of our other phone models where u can choose to pay for the talking telenav service for $10/mo, but u can always d/l google maps on our phones and use the gps free.

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA
According to the AT&T store employee who did our credit checks yesterday, AT&T says you need the $10/month-per-line GPS plan to use the iPhone's Google Maps feature as realtime GPS. MacRumors members philglider and gibbz disagree (thanks for responding, guys). What's the word in your area or with the people you've talked to or that you know? This is a significantly important feature to all the expectant iPhone 3G users, and I'm not too keen on the fact that it hasn't been spelled out. Thanks.

read ur other thread, no costs associated w/ google maps.

gandalf18

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
The AT&T employee you spoke to is mistaken. Now that it's been published, AT&T has been pretty clear on what is required for service with the iPhone.

And I'm not sure this required starting a second thread.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
This thread should be deleted. You already have the same thread elsewhere.

Again, AT&T employees that you talked with are idiots. AT&T offers their own location-based services, which is different from what Apple offers. Apple has the GPS functionality built in and is independent of some AT&T gps plan. NO NEED TO PAY FOR ANYTHING ADDITIONAL.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
wow, the rep that told you there's a $10/month fee to use the GPS functionality in Google Maps is either a complete idiot, or is working on their scam to get $10/month somehow sent to him by gullible customers.

imapfsr

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Victoria, B.C.
The only 'cost' would be the data charges for downloading the maps as you move along but since you lucky buggers get unlimited for $30 then it really doesnt matter to you.:)

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
You may have just stumbled on the Catch 22.
If AT&T charges for it's talking TeleNav service, that may be the very thing that stops Apple from letting TomTom or others provide an Audio Turn by Turn Navigation App. Apple says that you can get Visual Turn By Turn with the Google Maps on the 3G, but they DO NOT mention Audio. We'll just have to wait until the App store opens, or maybe a little after, to find out.

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
You may have just stumbled on the Catch 22.
If AT&T charges for it's talking TeleNav service, that may be the very thing that stops Apple from letting TomTom or others provide an Audio Turn by Turn Navigation App. Apple says that you can get Visual Turn By Turn with the Google Maps on the 3G, but they DO NOT mention Audio. We'll just have to wait until the App store opens, or maybe a little after, to find out.

I may be reading too much into this but, I don't think Apple is going to limit GPS apps as much as people think they are. Even on Apple's own site they hint at:

Apple said:
Get apps that map.

iPhone 3G provides GPS-powered location feeds to built-in applications as well as to applications available on the App Store. Take a photo with the camera, for example, and iPhone can geotag it with GPS location information. That way, when you share photos online, friends and family can see where every snapshot was taken. And you can shop the App Store for GPS-enabled applications such as mobile friend finders or interactive city guides.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/gps.html

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
This thread should be deleted. You already have the same thread elsewhere.

Again, AT&T employees that you talked with are idiots. AT&T offers their own location-based services, which is different from what Apple offers. Apple has the GPS functionality built in and is independent of some AT&T gps plan. NO NEED TO PAY FOR ANYTHING ADDITIONAL.

I posted again because I decided the wording in the subject line wasn't specific enough for my liking to get the answers and ideas I was looking for. I tried editing my previous post, but you can't change your subject line. I'm not a thread-spammer, so don't get your binary in a bunch. :D

In all seriousness, I'm inclined to agree with you on the difference between the iPhone's location-based features and the location-based services offered by AT&T. This is another example of why there needs to be more clear and concise guidelines spelled out all the way around to all parties involved, i.e. how about having an Apple rep at some AT&T stores right now? Not all of them, just a few snagged from local Apple stores who have been fully and correctly briefed on the ins and outs of this whole thing.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
What does GPS working have to do with AT&T providing anything except the Data communication between the Google Maps backend (or another Map program if available)? They are not providing anything to do with GPS. The GPS receiver is built into the new 3G iPhone. And if you are talking about the current iPhone, you won't be able to use it anyway. The $30/mo is for a Smartphone. And the use of the 3G technology whether you use 3G or EDGE.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I'm speaking specifically about the iPhone 3G. AT&T offers some kind of GPS service at $10/month, and I'm just trying to find out for sure whether or not the 3G iPhone requires this service.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I think you may have misunderstood me. I'm speaking specifically about the iPhone 3G. AT&T offers some kind of GPS service at $10/month, and I'm just trying to find out for sure whether or not the 3G iPhone requires this service.

No. Google maps can use the GPS to track and locate without any plan.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
This is the kind of verification I'm looking for. Didn't mean to start a big debacle here. Thanks, t0mat0.

No worries - Google Maps can use more than just the iPhone 3G's GPS -
the service also works in reverse:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204701259 Sending Google Map information to say your TomTom SatNav.

It'll be interesting to see how TomTom deploys it's TomTom One XL High Definition Traffic - and whether Google will be allowed to use the information.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202805916
("For example, traffic data is created by recording the movement patterns of mobile phones in cars using a GSM network operated by telecom provider Vodafone. The traffic data is then sent to the One XL HD Traffic device from TomTom's HD Traffic center over the Vodafone network. TomTom combines that with information supplied by traffic authorities and road operators.")

I can't seem to find the Google page, but basically a bluetoothed GPS could just as easily be used - old v1 iPhones will have just as much potential to be used as a Sat Nav, without the need for any per month purchase.

The debating point as ever, is services above and beyond what Google will provide for free via Google Maps, and what anyone else can cook up and create from that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.