Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Does the Wi-Fi have GPS? Because it gives me my exact address in the maps application when I am at home and the exact address when I am at my parents... I thought ok it's the internet connection location thing but then I drove down the road and it gave me my exact location on the road. Granted when I got any further Maps couldn't load anything due to no connection to the internet but it still placed me on the map.

I just thought only the 3G had actual GPS like the iPhone does.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It has pseudo GPS like the original iPhone. It uses known cell towers to triangulation approx location. The 3G model has true GPS which uses satellite to get your exact location.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
It has pseudo GPS like the original iPhone. It uses known cell towers to triangulation approx location. The 3G model has true GPS which uses satellite to get your exact location.

Does it use your internet IP to get your actual address? My iPhone does not give me my actual address just an approx. when I am inside the house. I was shocked by it.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
No it doesn't have GPS, it uses your wifi to get an approximate address. It can be pretty accurate.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
No it doesn't have GPS, it uses your wifi to get an approximate address. It can be pretty accurate.

If that was the case how did it place me driving down the road not near a Wi-Fi spot? That is what confused me. Guy above mention Cellular placement. This makes more sense now.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
If that was the case how did it place me driving down the road not near a Wi-Fi spot? That is what confused me. Guy above mention Cellular placement. This makes more sense now.

There's nothing cellular in the wifi model. It's only getting it from the wifi.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007

The iPad doesn't use cell towers. It doesn't have any cell radio in it. It uses Skyhook and known WiFi access points.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Skyhook's database knows not only where your router is most likely but the others around you. Using triangulation and signal strength it can tell where you are pretty accurately as long as people haven't moved recently and taken their routers with them. ;)

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
That's what I'm wondering. I live in an all residential subdivision & it pinpoints me down to my street & the next street over, damn close.

How is it doing this?

I bet it has something to do with Chloe O'brien.

Attachments

• FinderScreenSnapz002.jpg
    FinderScreenSnapz002.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 50

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Gps won't much good unless they make an iPad navigation app

I have absolutely ZERO intention of using my iPad with a navigation app (such as TomTom). But I WILL be using my iPad with the Geocaching app. It's not a navigation app. It's more like a find buried treasure app. And a built-in GPS is a very necessary bit of hardware for the Geocaching app.

There are lots of apps that aren't "navigation apps" that take advantage of location services. So, the correct way to word your comment is:

"A WiFi-only iPad won't be much good for any app that needs location services!"

Mark

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I have absolutely ZERO intention of using my iPad with a navigation app (such as TomTom). But I WILL be using my iPad with the Geocaching app. It's not a navigation app. It's more like a find buried treasure app. And a built-in GPS is a very necessary bit of hardware for the Geocaching app.

There are lots of apps that aren't "navigation apps" that take advantage of location services. So, the correct way to word your comment is:

"A WiFi-only iPad won't be much good for any app that needs location services!"

Mark

I wifi one does find yout location based on wifi is pretty accurate. Either way, it might be useful for what you want to do

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I wifi one does find yout location based on wifi is pretty accurate. Either way, it might be useful for what you want to do

Agreed! If you want to find your way from your front yard to your backyard, the WiFi-only model is useful!

Mark

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
The location service on the iPad is far, far better than the iPod touch. So much so that there is definitely something else going on behind the scenes, imo. I don't think it has GPS but I do think it is using the compass in a very clever way to make the locator more accurate.

If you think about the world as a map (for simplicity sake) and then you put a mark on the magnetic north pole (obviously a known fixed position) and tell someone the exact compass direction that another, unknown, point is from the north pole you could draw a line across the map where the unknown point must lie.

Now, if you then combine the long/lat of some know nearby points, and distance from those points (wifi location from Skyhook) and/or IP geolocation information, you can get a good idea of about where you are located. Look and see where your compass line intersects all of that other information and you can get an even more precise location.

This of course would hinge on the magnometer being really sensitive, but there's no reason to think it's not, I guess. I'm not saying that Apple is doing this, but just that they COULD use this to get the sort of location fix I am seeing on my iPad without GPS.

Either way, the wifi model is definitely going to be useful for location based services like finding restaurants and theatres and things like that.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Either way, the wifi model is definitely going to be useful for location based services like finding restaurants and theatres and things like that.

As long as you have an internet connection when you are looking for those restaurants and theaters, I agree.

Mark

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
As long as you have an internet connection when you are looking for those restaurants and theaters, I agree.

Mark

Yes should have clarified that. I use my cell as a mobile wifi access point so I don't think about it NOT having data service all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.