GPS / Privacy suggestion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thekb, Jan 12, 2014.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

GPS tracking for photos taken with iPhone is a great feature. It's wonderful to return from a trip and be able to see exactly where you were when each photo was taken. But I think most people would agree that it's at least somewhat troubling to have photos taken at your home tagged as well. So why doesn't Apple simply add a feature under Privacy that disables GPS tagging only for photos taken at your home?

The iPhone is definitely capable of GPS fencing so it should be simple to program the feature. That way, you don't have to worry about posting photos taken at your house and potentially leading bad guys right to your front door.

Frankly, I can't believe they haven't implemented something like that already.

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Maybe because you can turn off access to location services if you are at home?

3. blarivee macrumors 6502

Because that would involve the phone knowing where your home is and if that information is stored on Apple's server, it'll be another privacy issue. Like 17guy said, turn it off manually.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There are countless features that people can't believe that Apple hasn't implemented. That doesn't mean that Apple has the resources to implement them all.

5. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Turning Location Services on and off every time you want to take a picture at home is a ridiculously bad solution. That's overly complicated, not to mention that you'd forget to turn it off or back on half the time.

My iphone already knows where my home is. I can tell my iphone to remind me to do something when I get home. This is really the same thing, it's just automatically turning off location services when I am within the Home fence.

Obviously I'm alone in wanting to take photos at home without GPS tracking.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Request the feature on the Apple website. They actually do read the feature requests made there. They don't read this forum...

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Hard to really say what they actually read or don't read, and what might actually play more or less of a role as far as influencing them one way or another (if at all).

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's actually easy to say, since their product development people have explicitly stated exactly what I wrote.

They review the requests made through their website for new features formally, every week. Some are added to the next revision of an app or product. Some are filed for future research. All are reviewed in a formal process. All.

The same is not gone for posts on an Internet forum

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Saying that they do this kind of thing, doesn't really mean they truly do it or really pay that much attention to it. Not to mention that some have pointed out that there are people within Apple or contracted by Apple that do scour various support sites to gage reaction to various things and gather feedback as well. Perhaps not something that might be done as regularly, but it doesn't mean it's not done.

Either way though, plenty of things tons of people have reported for years to Apple via feedback mechanisms and nothing would happen one way or another about them. That's not to say one shouldn't use what's available out there, but it can be said that none of the methods (short of perhaps some larger public/press outcry over some prolonged period) really get much movement generally speaking.

10. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

If you own a home or car anyone can find you anyway. I'd suggest just not using services that don't let you choose whether you want posted photos to include location data.

11. cynics macrumors G3

That data gets scrubbed off with many services. It's easily accessed but once I upload a picture to Facebook for example I can no longer get that info. But it will stay if I upload to Dropbox.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

A better option is to have a toggle on the camera screen for geotagging yes or no.