GPS Quality on IPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stockcerts, Jun 9, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi that I use often for turn by turn driving directions. Based on what we've been told so far about the new IPhone, I wonder if I can hand my Nuvi down to my daughter. I am hoping the interface and/or usability is good enough so that I will no longer need the Nuvi.

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

This is def going to be the big question!

The video on apple.com looks awesome. but you never know

3. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I just read somewhere that it doesn't do turn by turn directions... not sure if this will be upgradeable in a 3rd party app.

4. dombookpro macrumors member

GPS is surely next to useless without Voice turn by turn directions... Who the hell is going to walk along the street using GPS?! It's not that much better than the Location in Google Maps at the moment. I mean, it's pretty accurate, so GPS would only be useful for driving. Don't really get it.

D

5. frosse macrumors 6502a

I too wonder about the iphones GPS, will it be as good as a dedicated car gps?

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There is a big difference between Google Maps simply constantly showing where you are, and Navigation applications showing you what to do next.

Navigation apps give turn by turn instructions, often with voice.

But most importantly, navigation apps know when you've gone off course, and automatically recalulate your route.

(I suppose Google could add such a feature, or a third party could notice the off course and ask Google for new routing.)

It's also worth noting again that the iPhone doesn't allow multitasking for most apps, and wants them to exit during calls. (Which is especially dumb for a 3G phone that should be able to do both.) Imagine if you were coming up to an intersection and the phone rang with an important call.

Contrast that to say, TomTom on a Windows Mobile phone, which continues to show directions on the screen even while you take/make calls or texts.

7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Technically it wouldnt be "upgradable" however the app could be written from scratch, the SDK supports core location and the ability to get it's own location. So there is no reason why the developer couldnt write such an app...

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Worst case scenario: Some GPS company will develop an app on the App Store with full voice/NAV/etc capabilities.

9. punitnaker macrumors regular

if you see the App Store spec, it says that developers can use the GPS in the their applications. i think people like TomTom or Garmin will definately release some kinda software that you can buy from the App Store, with the available maps for your own country.

Definately a possibility

10. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I find the current maps program interesting, but doesn't provide any value to me. I love my Garmin Nuvi, but as stated above...my hopes were/are to give it to my daughter if the new IPhone's GPS was an adequate replacement.

I agree with one of the earlier postings. A GPS needs to have audible turn by turn directions to be useful for automobile travel.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've never quite understood this. I'd hate to have a little box yelling at me over my music. I'd just as well have a 'NEXT DIRECTION' prompt in nice big letters that I can glance at. Certainly better than trying to read Mapquest directions off a sheet of copier paper.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

believe me turn by turn voice prompts is VERY nice.....especially in congested areas where you dont want to take eyes off road

it calls out the street names as well as distance to the street

much more convienent then having to constantly look at the device in my opinion

however, anything is better than looking at mapquest printouts! or randy mcnally maps!!

13. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

My Garmin has never yelled at me. I find it so much safer to have voice prompts then to exclusively look at the maps while driving. I do a combination of both, but I love the fact that it's audible. I think most people do as well.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

15. Random hero macrumors regular

Random hero

Is it only me who cannot run this video??

I just get the Quicktime Logo with a Question mark over it??

any ideas anyone?

16. Kupe macrumors member

It takes a while to load - I suspect the site's getting hammered pretty hard right now. Just wait for a while and all of a sudden it will start playing.

17. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Up until now developers have not know the iPhone to have GPS.

Now it does and they have a month to write better software - Google may well add turn by turn instructions by July 11th and we all say the TomTom announcement - we don't know if that is an official app or a jailbroken app but now I am sure Apple will push for GPS.

And lets face it when have Apple ever done anything half-arsed... the fact is the iPhone will most likely have the best sattelite signal acquisition of any phone because its a flat surface with nothing covering the GPS chip - no keyboard just the screen... I think the GPS companies should be very worried!

18. hemlockz3 macrumors newbie

19. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I personally was not very impressed with the GPS demonstration on the iPhone. It definitely doesn't appear as you could use this as a replacement for a Garmin or tomtom etc...

20. alex2016g macrumors member

To be honest that is the only reason I am upgrading to it (GPS)

I think the v1 looks better with metal back, and it now will be more exclusive then v2, which is a shame as apple always use to be premium, exclusive, it gave you a seance of importance, when you walk on to a bus or go through a airport, and you are the only one who has it (or nearly the only one), and people looking at you, thinking, dam I want one!!:rolleyes: Good Days...

21. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

22. alex2016g macrumors member

It will get better...
    As long as i have tomtom or some sort of good GPS navigation system i am happy