GPS Question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pagemakers, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

if you are out with the new watch AND an iphone and GPS is required will the watch use its own GPS or the iPhones?

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

According to Gruber (http://daringfireball.net/2015/04/the_apple_watch), it'll use the iPhone's GPS if you have it available to conserve watch battery.

Here's the specific quote ...

"Series 2 now has built-in GPS. It works very well in my testing here in Philadelphia. There’s no warm-up time. Apple Watch just seems to know when it’s out of communication distance from its paired iPhone, and it gets a GPS signal without you telling it to. You don’t need to turn it on, you don’t need to turn it off. The watch simply picks up the Location Services preferences from the iPhone (Settings → Privacy → Location Services). So if I go for a run with my Apple Watch, without my iPhone, I don’t have to do anything to get my path tracked. It just happens. There’s nothing I need to do to make it track my path. And if I do have my phone with me, the Workout app will let the iPhone do the GPS because it’s the bigger-batteried device."

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I really like that app they demoed at the release event, the tracker app but MAN is it expensive