Gps Run Tracking

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BlueGoldAce, Sep 23, 2016.

1. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Hey everyone,

I have a series 2 sport arriving today, and I am anxious to test out its gps run tracking ability.

Has anyone dived in this yet? What app would you recommend? There is an entire sea of apps, and I am just curious to hear people's first hand experience.

Thanks!

2. trlightning macrumors newbie

trlightning

If you are planning to run WITHOUT your phone AND want to see a map of your run after you are finished, then (at this point at least) you are limited to the Workout app on your watch. I got the Series 2 watch Wednesday and did my first run with it Thursday morning (without my phone and using the Workout app), running the same route I ran Wednesday morning (with my iPhone and using Map My Run). Wednesday's run showed 3.46 miles and Thursday showed it was a 3.42 mile run. I am not a serious runner so for me at least I'd say the accuracy is pretty close.

In regards to recommended apps, that depends on what you are looking for. I use Map My Run, only because my brother introduced me to it and we can see each other's runs. Most of the other apps have the social capability as well.

Good luck!

3. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

Is the limit (map wise) a watchOS 3 limitation or have third party apps just not updated yet?

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It's 3rd party. Runkeeper plans to update their app in a few weeks according to their blog.