GPS (series 2) when i'm lost somewhere

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cibonak, Oct 4, 2016.

1. cibonak macrumors regular

cibonak

can the gps (WITHOUT iphone closeby) show me the streets close to where im located

Thks a lot

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not without maps. GPS just records location points.

3. Ruja macrumors regular

Ruja

But if we're having a series 2, neither??? Then, what sense does it have the GPS on the watch?

4. Julien, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple is touting GPS in the S2 primarily as a fitness (route) tracker. Apple or some 3ed party may offer some type of Maps that download.

There was a 3ed party hiking/trail app shown at the event that used downloaded maps to guide you thorough hiking trails. So it is possible to have maps downloaded to the watch.

5. Ruja macrumors regular

Ruja

Ahhh ok, that sounds better

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, if I'm out and about, I'll have my phone, the watch is really an extension of the phone, so you should definitely have your phone imo

7. Ruja macrumors regular

Ruja

Well yes, you're right and as better it's gonna work is together to the iPhone, but you know, in my case, I was wondering which version I must buy. On one hand, it was the price between both versions (100€ in my country) and on the other hand, the GPS and the waterproof resistance so as I decided for the series 2, I'd like to think that if someday I need to use it without the iPhone for reasons such as lack of battery or whatever, I can do it with relax.