GPS..so what about maps??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkmeton, Jun 12, 2008.

1. darkmeton macrumors member

OK so the iphone 3G has GPS. But where will it get its maps from?? I know it uses google maps but you gotta be in a wifi area to load them from the net..so will it use 3G to load the maps and GPS to locate??

Which means, using gps costs!! (since it's using 3G for the maps..)

2. maxxscholten macrumors regular

3. Subiklim macrumors 6502

I don't understand the question. It gets the maps from it's data connection (3G or WiFi) and it gets its location from GPS or cellular triangulation. Does that answer your question?

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    you HAVE to get a data plan... so it's not exactly like you can get an iphone and not buy the data plan. It's free with the data plan, but you do need to use it.

Does that answer your question?

5. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

The iPhone comes with unlimited data plans, so this is a moot point.

This is no different than the current model except the locater is more accurate.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Apple are not saying it's a SatNav device out of the box. It simply has GPS in it. This GPS can be utilised by the Maps application (fed by Google) when you have data network coverage.

A real mapping/navigation solution is expected from TomTom which will have all the maps installed locally on the device, meaning no need to pull mapping data across the network from Google.

7. markym07931 macrumors regular

which is why iphones normally have an unlimited data package!

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

But with the iphone you have to get a data plan anyway so by costs you mean 30 dollars for unlimited data, then yes it costs that much.

I don't get your thread.

9. darkmeton thread starter macrumors member

not in all countries. in my country, it costs .0,10 per kb. and it has a limit to 50mbs per month.. so.. (I should move :p)

yeah, what I meant is when you're up in the mountains with no 3G, no Wifi, no EDGE, no cellular network, what then? but my question is answered, thank u all

different countries have different providers with different data plans. In my country you must ask for a 3G connection (which costs about 25 euros/month) which is extra to a plan for 1 hour of free calls (about 20 euros) ( so I have to pay 20 euros for 1 hour of free calls a month and EXTRA 25 euros for max 50mb of data from 3G). So I don't want to use 3G bec it COSTS!!!(not ulimited , 0.10 euros per kb u download, if u surpass the 50mb limit)
    So when I'm on my car and I can't find wifi (because I'm moving) how will the GPS work? (without having to use 3G, which means NO MAPS)

That was my original question

10. Grasbak macrumors 6502

i noticed if I planned a route in maps at home over my wifi (on ipod touch) - it seemed to save the (relevant) map and worked 'offline'

i assume that even if you are out and about with no network/wifi coverage the gps could still locate you and show were you are on the saved map?